1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Audio Options

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by fbacher, Jan 6, 2007.

1. fbacher

fbacher Junior Member

We just bought a 2007 with Package #1 assuming that we would replace the audio since in our experience factory audio is not very good and overpriced. We could also get real iPod support in an aftermarket product. Now, after studying the forums I am thinking we should have gone for Package #3 and upgrade the speakers and get a Coastaltech or DICE iPod interface. :( The problem with getting aftermarket audio is that you lose 1) integration with steering wheel control, 2) integration with built-in LCD and 3) looks.

My wife and I like a good sound, but we are not too hard to please. We don't need a sub-woofer, or 1,000 watts, but the speakers in the stock radio sound awful. I can barely hear the rear speakers as well. It is too bad that communication to steering wheel controls, LCD, etc. is not standardized. I think whatever benefit Toyota gets from proprietary protocols is more than offset by the problems created by having them... But I digress.

Anyway, given that we want to improve the audio quality and have good iPod integration what should we do? Will the stock radio sound decent if we get better speakers (Infinity)? Is the Package #3 upgrade radio that much better? We have no interest in Satellite, but a multi-CD changer would have been nice. Is it possible (or rational) to get the dealer to install the better radio, or for me to order the parts? Should we just bite the big one and replace the radio + speakers and forget about integration with the rest of the system (LCD, steering wheel, etc?).

2. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Actually, I think at this point, your are stuck with having to upgrade both the head unit and the speakers, since you didn't get the JBL upgrade. That being said, others here have replaced everything from speakers only, to the entire system. Docvijay has a thread on the replacement of his stereo. Search and find that one. You may want to PM him and ask a few questions. I understand that the mere replacement of the speakers alone makes quite a difference, and a complete mod CAN be done without the loss of the steering wheel function or the interference with amp-voice integration.

I got the JBL upgrade with mine and am quite happy so far. Since I havn't done any stereo mods yet on mine, I'll allow others to respond further. I just wanted to say welcome and give you some response to your question. Hope it works out!!

3. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Feuerbacher @ Jan 6 2007, 09:47 PM) [snapback]371924[/snapback]</div>
    I have the 9 speaker option. IMHO, it's not very good. It's the main thing I hate about the car. I want to yell, "From my cold dead hands!", but I hate the sound system so much I considered trading the car in two weeks after I bought it. Trust me--you NEED a subwoofer. The "premium" 9-speaker JBL sounds worse than my not so premium 1994 Grand AM SE. Several have added speakers, a subwoofer and an AMP. AFAIK, they can still use the steering wheel controls.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You should still be able to get a VAIS or DICE for your iPod, even with the base system.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: I can't help but wonder if these audiophiles have tried various settings for "Sound" through the MFD. I recall in my previous Prius [2004] there were some balance and sound settings which made the 9-speaker system sound better... or "less bad" if you prefer.

Since my Prius sound system is for background and information, I find the JBL 9-spkr system acceptable. I did, however, disconnect the center speaker above the MFD which enhanced the stereo seperation. Incidentally, both my wife and I are instrumental and vocal performers.

6. rfeuillerat7783@charter.net

[email protected] Junior Member

Hi I just bought a new Prius. I had a 2005 Prius with a six speaker audio system, the new 2007 has the nine speaker JBL system. The old one sounded much better. Both are pakage # 4. I would like to put in a subwoofer in the rear lower side panel above the wheel well. Has any one done this? Where do you hook the subwoofer in to the system? Do I need to add an amp.
    Randy F

7. MFaulkner

MFaulkner Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cougarrand @ Jan 9 2007, 08:16 PM) [snapback]373381[/snapback]</div>
    I just added my sub box and amp to the 2007 JBL 9 spk system and its better. I used the Scosche SPK to Line level adapter off the rear spks feed it to a 4 channel amp. 2 channels back to the rear spks and 1 bridged the sub. 1 10" Alpine S series. I would like to play with a x-over before the amp, but for now the filters on the amp help. Once I get a proper x-over I will tune the mids better. I will be building a fiberglass box for the left corrner pocket install later this spring when its warm again.