1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 AUX-in hiss and ground loop isolator solution

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by klevitsky, Dec 5, 2006.

1. klevitsky

klevitsky Junior Member

I was somewhat disappointed to hear a lot of hissing background noise through the Audio system when listening to my iPOD while it was plugged into the power outlet inside the center console. If I unplugged the charger, the hiss went away. I am sure most folks know that I am talking about ground loop feedback, but for those that don't I thought I'd share that the ground loop isolator I got yesterday from Crutchfield worked wonders and eliminated all hiss from the iPOD signal. It has an added benefit of having 3.5 mm plugs instead of RCA for easier use in this application. If you have noise, either hissing (like in my case) or a whine coming through your audio while listening to your iPOD or another audio player of choice while pugged into the car's charging system, give this isolator a shot. This has been discussed here already, especially with the XM radio units, but I thought I'd give my fellow newbies a heads up so please don't flame me for not searching, which I did, but not everyone will know what to search for (i.e. "ground loop").

PAC SNI-1/3.5 Noise Filter
    Helps eliminate ground loop noise from your portable music player! (3.5mm plugs)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JsynoxootVC/c...amp;i=127SNI135

2 people like this.
  2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aha. This is what I need! I went through the trouble of routing the antenna for my SkyFi today, only to find that it sounds like absolute garbage when played through the aux input. I was afraid it was something wrong with the car, but tried my MP3 player on battery power and it sounds fantastic. With the XM I'm getting the background whine/hum, even without the HV electrics turned on. It would be much better to solve this problem with an $18 dongle than a $300-$500 XM tuner.

Thanks for posting this!

3. lr08

lr08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tip! This has been annoying me for a while now. I was thinking about upgrading to an a2dp solution, but this is much cheaper.

4. RikM

RikM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried plugging my phone into the aux yet, to listen to music, but I've got an equivalent device bookmarked on Amazon, for when I need it.

5. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tip. TSB number 0067-08:

Bottom line: local Toyota dealer will sell the parts to me for $200, so I have bought the PAC SNI-1/3.5 Noise Filter to try out.

Note to Canadian buyers using Crutchfield. Crutchfield USA will not entertain any purchase unless said purchase is based in USA. I had to use Crutchfield Canada. Bottom line: Crutchfield USA was $US 17.99 and Crutchfield Canada is $CDN 33.00 delivered to my door

6. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    test (sorry, had to set e-mail notification for this thread....)

7. Pyrofer

Pyrofer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a dual charge/audio cable for my iPhone, when I play music through the aux as well as charging via a 12v 'accessory socket' adapter I get a whine.

I solved this with a simple RF choke on the charge cable. I wrapped it through the choke a couple of times and plugged it back in, whine gone.

This cost me ZERO as the choke was included with another cable for something that didn't need it.

Just a tip as its worth trying to see if it solves your problems before fitting anything expensive or complex.

1 person likes this.
  8. Logangogarty

Logangogarty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What is an rf choke ? How do I do this I just bought a wireless Bluetooth music player and the whine is awful it has a y splitter and one part end of it plugs into the ac adapter and the other into the aux what why should I wrap where now ? Thanks in advance

9. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The unit being discussed "soothes" the vehicles electrical noise that is pouring into your unit via your unit's power cord.

You have to add a "filter" somewhere in your set-up to filter out all that noise.

I had the same problem with a Sirius Sat radio unit and my solution was a "filter" that is used on the line that plugs the Sat radio unit into the cars aux jack. I've attached 2 photos so I hope it shows up: DSC00667.JPG
    DSC00690.JPG

10. Logangogarty

Logangogarty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is perfect thank you !