1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Bluetooth/Phone/Call Logs Not Saving Anymore

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pfb, Jun 9, 2016.

1. pfb

pfb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good Day PriusChat Forum.

Long time forum gawker, first time poster….

I was wondering if the community could advise on my next course of action to fix my issue... ...short of taking it to the dealership.

My issue is with the hands free bluetooth functions on a 2007 certified used Prius from the dealer bought in 2012. At the time, they installed a new MFD due to the screen being cracked. Both the huge hybrid battery and 12V aux battery were replaced last year. Everything worked great until a few weeks ago.

So, starting May 22, 2016; my hands free started acting funny. From what I can tell, any changes to my Bluetooth pairing to multiple phones does not save after turning off the car. After much troubleshooting, deleting settings, checking fuses, and resetting MFD by unplugging the 12V battery; my Prius MFD exists in two states when the car turns on –

STATE 1 – ORANGE DISPLAY STATE when starting the car.

Called Orange because that is the color scheme I keep it on normally.

· Steering wheel hands free button works.
    · My Bluetooth pairings for 3 phones work with Phone 1 paired automatically
    · All my speed dial addresses are there
    · There are call logs listed with May 22, 2016 as the last call
    · Radio is turned ON by default

I can delete Bluetooth pairings, call logs, and phone numbers. However, once I turn off the car, they all come back to the same state as listed above on the next car start. If I add anything and turn the car off, it comes back to the same as above on next start.

STATE 2 – GREEN DISPLAY STATE

Called Green because during my troubleshooting, I was able to change the color and stayed this after turning off the engine.

· Steering wheel hand free button does NOT work. Does nothing
    · Can access phone menu by voice control via DIAL BY NUMBER
    · No Bluetooth pairing show up
    · No Speed dial address show up
    · No Call logs
    · Radio is turned OFF by default

For the GREEN state, everything works as normal except for the steering wheel hands free button does nothing. If I make additions to Bluetooth, new call logs, or phone book; none of it saves once I turn off the car.

I seem to flip between GREEN and ORANGE state randomly with no rhyme or reason. Every new car start, I seem to be stuck at that point in time.
    I can make changes to radio station assignments, and they stick after powering off the car. Outside of the color of the Display and ON/OFF radio state, it is really only the Bluetooth telephone functions that will not save after turning off the car.

So, I am at a loss on what to do next. My next step is to open up the MFD and look at the wiring, but I am not sure what I would be looking at. I think there is a specific bluetooth wire somewhere that I can check. When I open up the car, I definitely don’t want to make things worse and have a general plan on what I am looking at and how far to dismantle.

It seems isolated to the bluetooth component. Is that something I can swap out or do I need to buy the entire MFD? Is it the MFD or is it wiring to the the steering column or JBL system? Why am I flipping between the point in time GREEN/ORANGE state?

Any advice or recommendations provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!