1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 bumper replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by silsurf, Mar 30, 2016.

1. silsurf

silsurf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My rear bumper needs replacement. I have priced the job out at multiple shops including Toyota service and surprisingly there is not much difference in the pricing. There are also these places that say they can repair it at my house, but even that is not less enough to consider.

So i am wondering how easy it it to replace it myself?

Also any recommendations on where to buy, my initial search shows a site called ReveMoto with a price tag of $460

TIA,

Henry

iPhone ?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Look on craigslist for Prius bumpers that are the same color as yours. It'll match your car and will be pretty cheap. Easy to install, mostly held together by clips.

Do not go for the people that will repair bumpers at your house......all scam artists

3. silsurf

silsurf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thnx!!

iPhone ?

There is one listed right now as black metallic 05-07 prius bumper (new)

I have a standard black 2007 gen 2 prius, is that a different color?

Henry

iPhone ?

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its not hard diy. Get rubber mats to lay on.

I have used the cheap bumper you buy online and there crap. There so thin they look terrible on the car. Especially on a black car. Very wavy. And don't fit right. Buy an OEM used bumper that's in good shape no cracks or gouges and take it to a body shop and have it painted. That's about $175 for the paint.
    It fits in the back of the car too.

I would also buy 2 new side plastic clips that hold the bumper on. The bumper sides snaps into these clips. They hold the bumper on. Sometimes they break when you unsnap the bumper sides from them.There cheap.
    And then 2 bolts along the top of and the top snaps off by pulling it up. Lots and lots of clips on the bottom that usually break when you remove them. All plastic brittle from age.

If your car is in very good shape you may want to buy a new black trim plastic edge that goes along the bottom of the bumper. That's a separate piece that is clipped onto the bumper. I regret not buying a new one myself as it looks bad on a new painted bumper.

5. silsurf

silsurf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks!!

iPhone ?

6. silsurf

silsurf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am confused again. I have been looking at used bumpers on Craigslist as it seemed like the right answer to my issue, but I had a conversation with a friend that made me realize, "dont I just need a bumper cover?" I dont need the underpinnings of the bumper, the sensors and whatever else is in a bumper these days, I just need to replace the cosmetic part, the cover?

So, I realized I need more clarification from friend folks here about what it is I actually need to buy, and where best to buy it? Because if I just need a cover, it seems there are many options out there on eBay, and auto parts websites for approx $100.

So, to re-cap.

My black 2007 gen II bumper is torn in a corner.
    I thought I needed to replace the bumper
    It sounds like na east DIY
    But what exactly do I need to purchase?

Thanks to everyone here for helping people like me.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Aftermarket bumper covers are pretty cheap, why buy used for a 9 year old car.

SM-N900P ?

8. silsurf

silsurf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am happy to get a new cover, would love a recommendation on where to purchase?

iPhone ?

9. silsurf

silsurf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it torn, piece missing, or? Can you post a pic?

Our son's car got a chunk torn off at the bottom due to a concrete wheel stop in a parking lot, "nailed" to the ground with rebars, but one of the rebars was sticking up about 5". :rolleyes:

Anyway, I picked up a Bumper Repair Kit (by Dominion Sure Seal Ltd). It contains fiberglas mesh and a couple of goop tubes you mix together, plus some acetone-like primer. It was near the bottom, not too visible, and with a bit of sanding and Dupli-Color, got fairly plausible results.

11. silsurf

silsurf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tried a repair on it, but it is beyond repair, one corner has multiple tears and cracks, i will post a photo, but i am happy to replace the cover, just want guidance on the paint n ship places on eBay?

iPhone ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If a bumper corner is torn/cracked, it can't be repaired. I would think a brand new aftermarket bumper and paint would be around $300. I'm getting one put on this week (a black 2005), so I'll let you know how it turns out.

#12 JC91006, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  13. silsurf

silsurf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tried a repair on it, but it is beyond repair, one corner has multiple tears and cracks, i will post a photo, but i am happy to replace the cover, just want guidance on the paint n ship places on eBay?

iPhone ?

14. silsurf

silsurf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks JC91006!! I was wondering what clips i need to order?

iPhone ?

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can't you just transfer everything from the old bumper?

16. silsurf

silsurf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I read that many clips break off in the course of removing the old one and it is good to have new clips on hand. I "think" there are two sizes for the rear bumper cover

iPhone ?

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm getting all aftermarket parts put on my project. New hood, rear bumper and touch up some scratched areas. Total $700

I thought about buying used on craigslist but after getting the quote for the work, I didn't bother with finding used.

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep thats the bumper I bought on your link. The $99 one. They suck. There half the thickness of the oem bumper and they are very wavy and distorted when on the car there so thin. If its a used beat up car thats fine but if a real nice car with dark color it looks terrible.

Plus the holes don't line up. I bet they wobble when I'm driving too from the air getting under them. The oem is quite thick and sturdy. China crap. New bumper is $1200.
    Buy used OEM and have it painted. Plus buy 2 of these:

2004 2009 Prius Rear Right Bumper Retainer Passenger Side Bracket Mount 2005 | eBay

These are used. Don't buy these. But this is what you want. I found new clips for $20 each I think 2 years ago on eBay. You need 2. You may get lucky and not break off the little clip mounts but if you do the bumper will not hook to the side of the car.
    Theirs about 20 clips around the bottom that hold the plastic trim on. Half of mine broke off they were so brittle on my bought new garaged car.
    I could not find those clips anywhere and had to get them at the dealer. I recommend you lay under the car and pull one of them out and take to the dealer. And see if they have any in stock. So if you break any you can hit the dealer and buy what you need.

If its a really nice car buy a new bottom black trim also. I regret not doing that.

#18 edthefox5, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead with the non oem bumper, sounds pretty crappy

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There awful. I was pissed but returning it was a hassle. It looks ok laying there in primer but after its painted its ridiculous how thin it is.
    Really bad on the car. My car is the driftwood pearl but if I had a dark color it would be unacceptable.

And the bolt holes were off too. Wished somebody had warned me....