1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 CD player messed up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Chodronish, Jan 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I just read in another threat that it can be complicated to install and after market stereo in a Prius. The CD player in my 2007 starts acting up after it plays a CD for awhile. Any suggestions?

Dxta likes this.
  2. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think of 5 options:
    1] quit listening to CDs
    2] remove the radio and find someone to repair it
    3] remove the radio and find one just like it in PC classifieds or on eBay
    4] read some threads on PC about installing aftermarket radios
    5] pay a shop to install a new aftermarket radio, after making sure they are familiar with 2G Prius

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    6) Rip CD's to mp3 format and listen via Aux In.

On a 2007, I wouldn't sink a lot of money into anything other than reliability items.

egg_salad likes this.
  4. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I think option #5 will end up being what I do unless the cost is prohibitive, just need to make sure they know how to install in a Prius. Not worth messing anything up. Considered portable CD player, but too much hassle. My mother is 83 and listens to books on CD that she sends to me; hence the need for CD player. I prefer digital. The radio works fine though. My 2007 is only about 83,000 miles, so hoping to have it around a lot longer.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Our 06 only has 51k. STRONGLY consider grid charging and start an HV battery fund.

Should be child's play for them as individuals have been successfully installing aftermarket head units in the Gen 2 for literally over a decade now. My only suggestion is to stick with name brand units as there is a ton of really cheap chinese items on the market now.

6. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for tips. Can you suggest a grid charger?

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Prolong is the established leader but there are others and/or DIY. Search the gen2 forums for tons of info in numerous threads. You can also click the link in my signature for my personal experiences with one.

GOOD LUCK!

8. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks and I did read most of that thread just now. I am not handy and do not understand the complexities of batteries - more at the "happy I can change my own cabin filter" level. I will start a new thread about battery care and whether I can and should have it done at dealership or at knowledgeable Prius garage.