1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 dead Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by outlawtele, May 31, 2019.

1. outlawtele

outlawtele New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I bought a 2007 Prius with 22x,xxx miles four months ago with a dead hybrid battery. Rebuilt the battery with a kit from Newpriusbatteries and had been happily driving the Prius for about 6k trouble free miles. Great car! I was planning to drive it into the ground, but then took a job out of the country, starting at the end of July. Already had a buyer lined up for the car prior to my departure. Everything was working out according to plan.

Until a few days ago. I live in NV and was traveling to NM for a family get together. We spent the night in Holbrook, AZ and shortly after starting out in the morning, we smelled an electrical smell, then the car died and we coasted to a stop on the side of I40. Still had interior lights, locks, etc., but the dash and MFD are black and will not power back on. Upon opening the hood, the cooked electric smell was strong. Had the car towed and got a rental car and continued on my way.

The good about the car: new hybrid battery with about 20K left on the warranty. Also, 4 new tires with less than 500 miles on them. Body is okay, interior is okay.
    The bad: I am not sure what burned up. I didn't do any trouble shooting. Could be a fuse and the inverter coolant pump.
    I really don't have the time to deal with it. Anybody want to make me an offer? I won't deliver it. You would need a trailer or a tow dolly. It is near Holbrook, AZ. Lots of great parts, or, most likely, a very driveable car with a little work. I was getting mid 40's consistently. I really love that little car.

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This really should be in the for sale section as your not looking for any help.

yibo829 likes this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. Request to have this moved.

Would be best if you put a price out there.
    To me this is a $500 car.

Skibob likes this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    99% chance the inverter cooling pump motor smoked and popped the AM2 fuse. You could easily disconnect the pump wire harness, replace the fuse and drive the car anywhere within reasonable distance at a reasonable slow speed. Buying a new pump online is about 65 bucks and about 150 if you buy one at AutoZone. All you have to do is remove the driver side headlight to gain access to the pump. A couple medium sized hose clamps and about 1.5 hours. and about 4 ounces of coolant to top off the reservoir when you have a chance.

psymon100 likes this.
  5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s the guys first post and since he’s moving “out of the country”, I don’t think he cares. I would carefully check all the paperwork if I were to buy it. I smell a scammer.

6. outlawtele

outlawtele New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well, I am still not quite sure about what to do with the car, so I didn't know where to put it. I have used this forum before to get valuable information, so I thought I would put it here first and see what I got. If I put it in the for sale section, I don't know if I would get much advice.

Thanks!

I appreciate where you are coming from, and I would always recommend checking the paperwork out anytime you buy a vehicle. Good advice, Skibob! This is a reason why I typically only visit the forums from a distance, as most of my questions have been answered with a little diligent searching. In this case, the fact that I am far from home and without tools, and my impending very real "move out of the country" prompted me to reach out to the Prius community.

I do care. This is a great car, but it is also an 11 year old car. I will happily provide anyone who is interested with the receipt from Newpriusbatteries. When I decided to accept a job outside the country, I contacted them and Nick said the warranty is transferrable.

Cheers and thanks for your support!

Thanks for the helpful reply! I might end up doing this. I replaced the coolant flow valve when I first got the car, so I am not worried about being able to do the job in the field. What is the AM2 fuse? I looked in the fuse box at the fusible link when the incident occurred, but it looked okay. Any information about the AM2 fuse would be appreciated.

#6 outlawtele, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2019
  7. outlawtele

outlawtele New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'll close this thread with a final update: Repaired the Prius with a new pump and a fuse in half an hour. Drove it home with no issues; it is really a great car. If I could I would take it "out of the country" with me. Thanks to those of you who provided positive advice. Love the forum!