1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Electric Water Pump Conversion [Engine's]

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by JoesMorgue, Apr 14, 2014.

1. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A replacement Aisin WPT-190 electric water pump for the Gen 3 costs about $300. Not bad but still 7x the cost of a replacement WPT-111 on the Gen 2. And what if the harness rusts? More moolah. Hopefully Toyota waterproofed the connector on the electric water pump much better than it did on the HID leveling sensor on the Gen 2.

Chanelling Mr T: I pity dah foo who needs to replace his electric water pump!

2. Jason in OZ

Jason in OZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    the way im going to look at this is that the $459 price tag, is not that much more than a dealer would charge to replace a water pump, so thats why i will consider this an option if the need arises in future.

Jason

3. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    amazon shows price of $337 where you price yours

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i completely agree with the money issue, but when it comes to mods, most p chatters are too timid to tackle something like this. we prefer bumper appliqués!:p

5. JoesMorgue

JoesMorgue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

There is a reason…Desire!

My care is coming upon needing a pump, so NOW is the best time to do it. Not after I put in a new pump, drive it for 10% of it's life, then decide it needs to be done.

Right now, I'm looking for info on doing such a thing, and that is what I'm trying to learn about…

6. JoesMorgue

JoesMorgue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

My dealer wants more than that to change the pump...

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    desire is exactly right, all the best!(y)

8. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if you have a 10mm wrench, a drain pan and a razor blade, you can do it yourself in an afternoon. very easy water pump. or was it a 12mm...?

9. JoesMorgue

JoesMorgue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Really!?!? I wonder if there are YouTube vids for it…

10. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    maybe. but all you need to do is put it on stands, take the rf wheel off, take the plastic liner out of the wheel well, if I remember correctly, the pulley has 3 10mm bolts holding it on the pump which you need to break loose before you slide the belt off, (might as well get a new belt too), 4 bolts holding the pump on. don't forget to drain the coolant into a pan before you take the pump loose. should be a drain valve on the bottom of the radiator. gently and carefully scrape the old gasket off the block. do not gouge the metal or the new gasket won't seal. do not over-tighten the bolts-- they'll break easy if you get ham-handed. when you go to fill the radiator back up, it may take a while for the cooling system to burp all the air out of the heater core. you'll get a red triangle and gurgling noises and such. you don't want to drive it until its burped. I always turn the heat on full blast and run the engine until it gets hot in the car, making sure to keep an eye on the radiator. patience is needed cause some cars don't want to burp, and even the dealer sometimes doesn't get all the air out the first try.
    been about a year and 1/2 since I did mine, so I might have missed something (old brain don't work too good any more).

m.wynn likes this.
  11. deces

deces New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    SFO likes this.