1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 engine swap no start no ready light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Sharnold, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently swapped 2007 prius engine that had a head gasket blown with a perfectly good one with lower miles. 12 volt battery is good hybrid battery is good. I have checked the main breaker on the hybrid, and put another new 12volt battery on it.......some results. I also redone the ground off the 12volt in the car. When you press the start button while holding the brake I get a orange start light and all the idiot lights come on. It also says A/C off on the main screen. Problem number 2 the inverter pump is rattling when you 1st try to start the car and the electric fans tried to come on yesterday. Hybrid drive was working when I put it on the rack now all I can shift to is park or neautral. This is my 3rd swap on one of these and I'm familiar with them......... thanks in advance

2. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Few more details...... no codes are presented with obd flash. The reason the cars head gasket was blown us duty to being wrecked in the front drivers side and it busted the inverter reservoir and they kept driving it

3. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so I got the car to finally crank once and only once and got
    P1150
    P0300
    P0301
    P0303
    P1150
    P0A80
    The 300 codes for misfire are fixed now for the rest
    The HIV battery gas been used by the owner to drive it up here hence the low voltage now I just gotta figure out the no start not ready issue

4. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok inverter pump fixed along with the temp code
    Still wont crank and still pulling a P0A80 code the engine will try to be turned over one time for a brief second the only thing I can figure is the HIV is so weak it cannot crank the car? Any ideas?

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Externally charge the HV battery BEFORE any further attempts to start the car. Put the 12 V battery on a charger at the same time, and it wouldn't hurt to leave it on a trickle charger while you're troubleshooting this car.

Once the HV battery reaches below 38% it will not allow any further attempt to start the ICE.

I wouldn't worry too much about all the engine codes, just yet. Although you could check all connections to the sensors that input to the ECM just to be sure there's no problems there. Wouldn't hurt to clean the TB inlet and MAF sensor either, if you have nothing else to go on with. :):sleep:

SFO likes this.
  6. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If and at all possible how could I charge the HIV Battery I have the 12volt on a trickle charger already.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is possible and you could use something like the HA Prolong charger available from Hybrid Automotive.

#7 dolj, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok next question I replaced the noisy running inverter pump but was also pulling the P1150 code. The original inverter pump was grinding and making all sorts of noise now that its replaced it cycles smoothly hopefully I was right and this was the reason for my code

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably a good idea changing the inverter coolant pump, given that it was noisy. But, P1150 relates to the coolant heat storage system and particularly indicates that there is a Coolant Path Clog of Coolant Heat Storage System.

Trouble areas are:
    • Coolant heat storage tank outlet temperature sensor
    • Water valve (coolant flow control valve)
    • Cooling system (clogging)
    • Heat storage tank
    • ECM
    As the CHSS is an emissions system and not critical the running of the car, you could park that until you get the more major issues sorted.

Here is the Repair Manual work up for DTC P1150

SFO likes this.
  10. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At the moment that's not the majority of my concerns when I return to the garage later this evening I've got it ready to drive as soon as I start it to charge the HIV but it's down to 2 purple lines on the display so it basically gives me one start attempt before I have to reset the computer

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Surprising that you have replaced 3 engines already and just joined yesterday that’s some good diy skills there.

You need an obd reader that has toyota techstream software.
    You then are able to read the hybrid battery main voltage and module voltage.

The driving the car on gas only doesn’t last Long before it kills the hybrid battery rendering the car unable to start. Not sure what hybrid battery main breaker is because the car does not have one.

Go to

Hybridautomotive.com

And look up the installation instructions for the hybrid battery charging harness because your going to need access to that battery to charge it up.
    Once you have access to that battery main relay you can then measure main battery dc out to see his dead it is.

12. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a full time mechanic when I'm not at my full time job also it's my 2nd job I've been doing it for 15 years I'm new to the prius game but this is my 3rd engine to swap. I've also pulled the HIV batteries and rebuilt them including the Ford and Chevy HIV batteries. This has been the only one that's gave me a fit. As far as the main breaker I'm referring to the orange safty/cut off switch for the HIV battery that must be locked down

SFO likes this.
  13. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Again as I'm new to this I thought the CVT's job was to recharge the battery along with the braking system and gas engine. But the HIV's purpose for the gas engine was to start it?

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The hybrid battery provides power to spin up mg1 and mg1 Spins up the ICE to start it.

No hybrid battery power no engine start.

Think of mg1 as the cars starter motor.

Take the small inspection panel off the hybrid battery it’s the small cover where the hi volt leads exit the battery and using dc voltmeter measure the main battery voltage at that relay to see how much voltage the battery has. Not sure what the minimum go no go voltage is to spin mg1 but post what you read.

#14 edthefox5, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  15. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol I'm still in the same boat as I just made another thread. This is my first real prius issue other than changing a indavidual cell or replacing the whole HIV

16. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would love for someone to tell me the correct voltage/amperage for the ICE to crank the engine

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ICE is the engine. Internal Combustion Engine.

Not sure what the go no go on the hybrid battery is as far as minimum voltage level to spin mg1 maybe 150 volts. I know a full hybrid battery is approx. 238-241 volts.

Of course this discussion has nothing to do with the battery level displayed on the mfd as that only shows battery state from 20 to 80%.

The battery is never allowed to fully 100% charge and it is never allowed to go completely 100% dead. That creates alot of heat and corrosion will quickly move in. It would quickly wear the battery out so the software keeps it at a very conservative min/max level for long life.

That's why a Prolong type outboard discharge/charge is very therapeutic for it. It can be 100% discharged and 100% charged. It really wakes it up.

Someone will come along with the minimum voltage level to spin up mg1.

But like I said in previous post take the cover off the battery and measure the main voltage with the orange interlock installed.
    See what its at. Be careful.

Or get a techstreamed obd device like a Vxdiag or Mini vci. It will instantly tell you the voltage.

18. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    145v its drained my condolences to the owner of the car who drove it with the head gasket blown and drained the HV

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is not a drained battery, it is a battery with issues. You can't drain a battery that low even if you tried (not while is in the car)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even if that he's got two choices not me....... buy a battery or buy a charger I appreciate the help from everyone but without the proper voltage its gonna be sitting without the power to properly crank the car