1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Front wheel bearing replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mountaintodd, Jun 21, 2015.

1. mountaintodd

mountaintodd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Vehicle: 2007 Prius with 181,500 miles
    Symptoms: throbbing/humming/whoa whoa whoa sound coming from the front wheels
    Problem: Bad front wheel bearings

I've read several of the other/older threads and gathered some helpful information, but I still don't have the confidence to do the job myself. I need more information! First off, I am mechanically inclined, but by no means a professional. So, I hope this thread provides all the information needed on how to successfully replace the front wheel bearings on an 07' Prius for the Do It Yourselfer!

Does anybody know if there is a step by step (idiots guide) to replacing the front wheel bearings on an 07' Prius? Tools required, torques, etc.? Note: the 2007 model is different than the earlier models!

From what I understand, the front wheel bearing come with the hub assembly (one piece/part), so there is no need to press in or out the wheel bearings. Toyota's part quote was $183 for one side. Aftermarket brands are cheaper but usually not as good.

Here's what I know and what I need to know? Please help!
    #1 Disconnect the battery (whenever you are dealing with the brake system)!!!!
    #2 Remove the wheel > remove the brakes and hang them up out of the way
    #3 Remove the Hub nut.
    **The hub nut is 30 mm. Does this require a special tool/socket? What's the best way to remove it?
    I have read that it's best to replace the hub nut with a new one because they aren't expensive ($7).
    What's next?

I've read something about the backing plate being difficult? More info. please?
    I've read something about people damaging the ABS sensor or something, how do I avoid that?
    Do I need any other special tools, sockets, an impact wrench?
    What's the worst part of this job? Any other potential problems I should be concerned about?

Before I get started, I want to be prepared. Thanks so much for all your time and help!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you need a 12 point socket that will fit the hub nut. Bring the new hub nut along when you are shopping for a socket.

Ideally you will use an impact wrench to remove the hub nut because the tightening torque is 159 ft.-lb. If you don't have access to an impact wrench then you can try using a 1/2" breaker bar and perhaps a cheater extension over the breaker bar if needed. It would help to have a helper depress the brake pedal to hold the wheel and the hub nut stationary, before you try to loosen the hub nut. Obviously this means that loosening the hub nut is one of the first tasks while the car is still on the ground and the brake caliper is still attached.

Remove the center cap in the wheel for access to the hub nut. Use a punch to lift up the indent in the hub nut, which serves to lock the hub nut in place.

I don't know why the wheel sensor would be damaged if you unbolt it from the steering knuckle and get it out of the way. Don't drop the sensor tip on the concrete garage floor.

The disc brake dust cover (what you call the backing plate) is thin sheet metal so it might be damaged as you remove the hub from the steering knuckle. If so, then just replace it and count that as part of your learning process tuition.

#2 Patrick Wong, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  3. mountaintodd

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the information Patrick! I have any impact wrench so I think I can handle the hub nut now.

I'm still a little unsure about what to expect once I get the hub nut, brakes and rotor out of the way. Beyond all these, will I see the wheel bearing and hub assembly? What else needs to be removed to remove the wheel bearing and hub assembly? Difficulty? Tools? Tricks of the trade?

Thanks!

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, once you remove the rotor then you will see the bearing/hub assembly. It is attached to the steering knuckle with four bolts. Some posters have reported it is not easy to remove the bolts or to separate the bearing/hub assembly from the steering knuckle - that would be especially true if you live in an area that applies winter salt on the roads.

In that case my suggestion would be that you remove the steering knuckle and take that to a local machine shop, asking for the bearing/hub to be pressed out from the knuckle.

I recommend you subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com to gain access to the factory repair manual which contains detailed instructions, an exploded parts diagram, etc.

Also, disconnect the 12V battery before you start work on the car to avoid having the skid control ECU log a code as you are working on the brakes, or having a caliper piston shoot out of a caliper while the calipers are removed from the discs.

5. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've never changed the bearings/hub on a Prius, but I have on other FWD cars. My word of advice would be to loosen the hub nut before you jack the car and remove the wheel (get a helper to apply the brakes, and use the built in resistance of the brakes and the tire to your advantage). Then when you get it loose, lightly tighten it and go about the rest of the process. Your impact driver might do the job. But if it can't, you need to really get on it with a breaker bar and extension. I have a good impact gun that's rated for 550 lb/ft, and it wouldn't budge the hub nuts on my Camry. I had to use a 4 foot pipe on my breaker bar, and I was standing/bouncing on it before it broke free.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do recommend something like a Schley 65420 for straightening out the staked portion of the axle nut before trying to loosen the nut. And it's important to get the staked portion totally lifted first—if you don't, you'll mangle the axle threads as the nut comes off, and the axle is pricey.

To be honest, nobody's ever shown me a really good way to stake the new nut after tightening it. Somehow I get the impression a lot of people just bang it with a large hammer and drift, but something bugs me about putting in brand new precision ball bearings and then banging them with large hammers. :confused:

-Chap

7. mountaintodd

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where do I get a schley 65420?

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Amazon - Google is your friend.

Schley 65420

9. mountaintodd

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i found an ok tool out of my carpentry box. Does this look good enough? Don't want to get into those axle threads!!

A little more work. It's hard to tell when it's safe to put an impact wrench on it!!??

Attached Files:

#9 mountaintodd, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015