1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 HID Headlight Adjustment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by simul8r, Jan 11, 2008.

1. simul8r

simul8r New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    EDIT--(I realized too late that I posted this in the Technical Discussion Forum--sorry!)

I was looking through the forum on how to adjust the headlights up/down and I didn't come across exactly what I needed. However, after spending a few minutes with the hood up, I found what I was looking for and decided to share with everyone else.

(I can only testify as to the adjustment of an '07 with HID lights as that's what I've got):

1. Where: Looking at the back of the headlamp assemblies (while facing the engine) you'll see a knob with a white plastic nut--this is the knob that will adjust the headlight's beam either up or down.

2. Tool: I used a plain 5/16" boxed-end wrench; however, if you've got a ratcheting one, it will be a perfect match.

3. Procedure: Staring down at the back of the headlamp assembly, while facing the engine, you can turn the plastic nut either clockwise (CW) or counter-clockwise (CCW) very easily. CW will lower the beam; CCW will raise it.
    I found that it was easiest to adjust the right headlamp standing in the front-middle of the car, and for the left to lean over the left front fender. This way you are not blocking the light you need to make the adjustments.
    (I made the adjustments by shining the headlights onto the outside of my garage door at night.)

As far as the height of the beams, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to blind anyone--so I just used trial and error with my own two eyes and a couple of trips up and down the street.

I hope this can help someone!

1 person likes this.
  2. PRIUS007

PRIUS007 James Bond -007

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't know how this might affect this, but from my understanding, the headlights 'Auto Adjust' based on current vehicle load. There is a sensor on the left rear suspension that adjusts it based on the level of the vehicle due to passenger and fuel load.

3. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Perhaps the procedure that simul8r described adjusts the base setting?

4. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How much of a turn to be significant?

5. simul8r

simul8r New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Correct. What I was talking about has nothing to do with the auto-adjusting feature. I was trying to adjust the base position of the lamps.

6. simul8r

simul8r New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had to turn the knobs quite a few times, mostly because there is not a lot of room to turn a ratchet/wrench.
    I don't know the exact number of rotations, unfortunately; however, it was quite a few (my headlamps were aimed very high).

7. llajr

llajr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for help...My 2007 has silver adj knob & can be turned by fingers. Service personel have told me not adjustable. from newby LEO

8. firepilot17

firepilot17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Simul8r, your headlights were to high? Mine are so low that I worry about hitting something. I'm going to try turning those knobs tonight. Excited about it. I even contemplated removing the fog lamps and putting in my own driving lights.

9. firepilot17

firepilot17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It worked! Turn the knobs counterclockwise to raise, clockwise to lower. In other words, when you are facing the car, turn them to the right. Uses I think an 8mm wrench.

10. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How many turns?

11. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can we clarify? It's not clear which direction does what. Turning the wrench CCW facing the car from the front is not the same as turning the adjuster CCW. What if you think of it as tightening or loosening a screw? I don't mean to be obtuse, but I'm head scratching over this.

12. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hope no one minds, but I'm going to bump this. Thanks

13. warrior

warrior New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    wouldn't it be best to use metric tools?

14. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes...8mm is the best fit. Doesn't answer my question.

15. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Simul8r: so sorry for asking, but when you reference CW and CCW, you say CCW will raise the beam and CCW generally 'unscrews' unless you have left-handed threads. So, it your CCW referenced while facing the engine? Generally, when referring to a CW or CCW turn of a piece of hardware, you are facing the hardware, which would mean you are facing the back of the headlight assembly, not the engine. Could you clarify?

16. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    See my post of 11/9 above. I had the same confusion, but after adjusting it the wrong way, I figured it out. Never mind the engine. Turn it as if you are facing the hardware. "Tighten" the screw to lower the beam, "loosen" the screw to raise the beam.

cjohnsonmn likes this.
  17. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank You!
    Now locked into memory banks as, loosen up and tighten down.

18. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're welcome. Looked up agnatology...very amusing. I think it's a federally sponsored project!

19. boomer57tux

boomer57tux New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine was aiming too high too after I changed both headlights ...It's late now but tomorrow I will open the hood and find that famous "adjuster" that everybody is talking...do you have a pic of this adjuster or where to find it?

20. Sirius

Sirius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First picture is the zoomed in picture of the plastic bolt.
    Second gives you some context. This was taken on the driver side. I am standing behind the headlight, closer to the side mirror.
    The passenger side bolt is more difficult to get to as its blocked by some type of hard plastic stuff.

Edit: My Prius is 2006 w/ HID Headlights

Attached Files: