1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 High Mileage Prius - Oil Level/Oil Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sdrocker, Feb 6, 2015.

1. sdrocker

sdrocker Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    True I will keep it slightly below full then. I'm still lost on the synthetic Mobil 1 oil for the prius at high miles.. not a good idea?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some people including myself have experienced oil burning switching from dino to synthetic after 100k miles. But not everyone experiences this. I would say stick with dino if you change oil every 5000 miles. Synthetic will prolong the oil life if you go beyond 5000 mile changes

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's nonsense. Keep it at the full mark. That's where the engine maker wants it at. I have owned this car since new and has always been at the full dimple. And yes a little oil pools in the bottom of the intake but it causes no harm whatsoever. Never ever have had a misfire. You will see that oil no matter how much oil is in the crankcase. Its a function of the atkinson cycle.

And dont bother checking it at a gas fill up. Check it in the morning before you start the car.