1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Honda Civic Hybrid Redesign-CNET Review

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by hb06, Apr 17, 2007.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "The redesign of the Civic line for 2006 seemed to take some cues from the futuristic shape of the Prius, notably in the extreme rake of the windshield, but the latest Civics have been as well-received as earlier versions and are comfortable inside."

http://reviews.cnet.com/2007_Honda_Civic_H...da+Civic+Hybrid

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow, they managed to find the Avg. FE gauge. I couldn't. Where is it? lol.

3. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm driving one this weekend. I only put 30 miles on it so far, but will be taking it to a car show this afternoon 50 miles away. My wife will be bringing a Prius. We are talking about and giving test rides in the two hybrids.

The 30 miles I put on it last night averaged 64.2 mpg, according to the computers calculations, so something must not be "right". I won't have it long enought to do an actual measuerment from the tank but I can't believe I would get over sixty miles per gallon. However I was "trying" and my wife got 58 onj the same route with the Prius (bit she wasn't "trying"....)....

Anyway, the Honda has pretty good acceleration, can spin the rubber if you want, and handles smoothly. I found the ice/electric transitions smooth but firm and could "feel" the car which allowed me to work on my driving technique more effectively. I expect some people will confuse "feel" with "poor quality" but the car it tight, and the transitions and car feel is what an old fashioned guy like me needs to be in tune with the car.

I am not going to try and stay over 60 mpg today as I will be demonstrating stuff at the show and having a good time, but the vehicle is capable of it (even if the driver is not). ;)

Highlights are the blue lights in the cabin, steering wheel size and design, gearshift look and feel, stereo speakers.

Initial complaints: poor seats, cheap/cheezy looking vanity mirrors, controls are not "intuitive", plain exterior.

Overall it rides and drives ike a more expensive vehicle with a "tip of the hat" to the auomotive enthusiast for interior design and a dedication to blandness on the outside.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 17 2007, 01:25 PM) [snapback]424708[/snapback]</div>
    Left dash, with the gas pump picture...

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The title of 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid Redesign caught my eye, but I didn't see the specifics of a 2007 change in the article. Is it supposed to read 2006 Redesign?

I bought a 2006 Civic Hybrid and drove it for 12,000 miles before I traded for the 2007 Prius. It is a fun car, but not as powerful as the Prius. Or at least it is noisier under power. For me, if the car is screeming, I feel like I am overtaxing it so it doesn't seem like real power.

Top milage was around 42 and average drops dramatically to 35 when you mix in a large dose of city driving. ICE is always on unless you are at a complete stop. On my daily commute, I had a metering light to wait for and the ramp was downhill, so I had to turn off the ignition and coast down the hill in neutral. About two thirds of the way down, I had to turn it back on because it stopped coasting and from that point on, the ICE ran becuase it always starts and keep running if you let the car inch ahead after a stop.

The Civic is much harder to get in and out of than the Prius, as seating location is lower, and I think, doors are smaller.

I did not hate the car, but it is no Prius.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Apr 22 2007, 04:52 AM) [snapback]427712[/snapback]</div>
    next to the speedo?

cause I saw the instant FE gauge and I could switch it to the water temp. gauge but didn't see any Avg FE for that display.

6. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 22 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]427808[/snapback]</div>

on the dashboard, all the way on the left hand side by the window, there is a button labeled "sel/reset" If you press it, it will cycle between odo, trip, oil life, temp. Cycle it to either trip A or B. The avg FE will be displayed for that trip

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhh ok. It's the trip A or B part that I didn't change.

8. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Actually the article had at least a couple of inacuracies. The following are just 2 that I managed to spot:

-The average mileage indicator was said to update every 10 minutes. In reality it updates approximately every 10 seconds.

-They also stated the gas engine power was 110hp with an additional 20hp coming from the motor. Yeah, I wish. The correct power output is more like 92hp for the gas engine for a total output of 110hp (which includes the electric motor contribution).

cheers;

MSantos

9. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We are a proud family of not one, but of 2 hybrids -- a 2003 HCH and a 2007 Prius #2pkg.
    Comparisons of the 2 cars: 18550 vs 20995. 14" wheels vs 15" . HCH has better vision, very few blind spots. as of June 17: HCH 43600mi Prius: 2365mi
    Repairs on HCH:
    1. Replaced 12V battery after 2nd month of purchase under warantee
    2. clutch glazed, causing shuttering upon braking, under warantee to clean [2 more times, later]
    3. rattles from front pillar, resolved with extra padding
    4. ECM s/w updated to prevent catalyst deteriation July 2005 under warantee. [recall]
    5. Start clutch assembly replaced June 2007 under warantee
    6. EGR valve replaced June 2007 under warantee
    7. Replaced tires at 43500, but still had a good 10000 more miles left. [personal safety measures]

HCH has better mpg on frwys than in city[up to 50mpg & 39mpg in city]. Lifetime average: 43mpg
    Completely vice versa with the Prius - Lifetime is 46.5mpg
    Prius has more blind spots.
    Prius has better ride and feels like a large car, and more comfortable on long trips
    Prius has a superior sound system.
    Prius display much more sophisticated.
    Prius has much more power.
    Easier to wash HCH, due to its smaller painted areas.

Conclusion: If both autos cost the same, go for the Prius. There was $2495 difference between our 2 cars, but I feel we got more with the Prius over the HCH

10. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LYLUVLY @ Jun 17 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]463790[/snapback]</div>

Sorry, your 2003 HCH and the second generation HCH (2006-2007) are worlds appart and share nothing other than a few platform principles.
    All the problems you mentioned are well known and mostly non-issues on the second generation HCH.

Cheers;

MSantos