1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Key Fob SKS New Housing or cover

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SurferKim, Mar 29, 2016.

1. SurferKim

SurferKim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2007 with SKS and the battery was low so I replaced the battery also the case was worn out so I ordered anew case. It came today and I replaced the motherboard and battery from the old case into the new one for 2007. The light on the fob comes on when you press the buttons but it does not open the doors or recognize me when I approach. It did just minutes before with the old fob. So I took the motherboard out put it back into the old fob and still does not work. Any advice would be helpful I've spent three hours at this. I checked the key button under dash and it's fine. Does it need to be reprogrammed I would think not because it's the same motherboard. Help please :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    shouldn't. what voltage does the new battery test?

could one of the buttons be stuck down?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try a different battery. If you have a 2nd fob that's working, use that working Fob battery and try

4. SurferKim

SurferKim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The red light blinks when you press the buttons and one off them is not stuck pushed in and its a brand new CR2032 battery a few days ago and was working perfectly. I put the motherboard back in the old remote and it does not work either but the red lights light up there also, I'm miffed. help

And I don't have a second fob

#4 SurferKim, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2016
  5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds like a button is stuck. Try the circuit board outside the case.

The Gen2 keyfobs have two active elements in them - the circuit board and a separate transponder chip. Be sure to transfer the transponder (1/2 " x 1/8" x 1/8" chip without any metal connectors) to the new case. The transponder is the active when the keyfob is inserted into the slot in the dash.

Get a 2nd fob!

6. SurferKim

SurferKim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I transferred the transponder. And the red light comes on when I push each button individually. The fob does work when insertd in the dash. How can you try the circuit outside the case? Just hold the battery I guess maybe?

7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You should be able to lock/unlock the doors with just the circuit board (with the battery held in place).

I'm surprised that it doesn't work with the fob inserted into the dash. I've even taped a transponder to the end of a pencil (the pointy end, not the end with metal), and that worked pressed into the keyslot. The keyslot cover panel has to be pressed all the way in (it clicks), and the transponder on the bottom of the slot. Maybe the shape of the replacement case is off enough that the fob doesn't go in far enough.

The keyslot cover panel locks in with the ignition ON. When you turn the car OFF, you have to release the cover panel back out by pressing it all the way in. No problem if the case is proper shape, but it's a separate step with the transponder on a pencil hack.

There is also a switch on the lower left dash that disables SKS function. The buttons / dash slot work regardless of that switch, but it has to be in the proper position for the proximity functions.

8. SurferKim

SurferKim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I said right above your reply that the fob DOES work when inserted in the dash but only then. Like I said the buttons do light up the red light when pressed. I will take it apart today and thy to see if it works with just the mother board. Should the switch under the dash be depressed or not for the SKS to work? Thanks for trying to help.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just a thought, maybe check your 12v.

10. SurferKim

SurferKim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is going to be one of my next course of actions. But in the garage last night I turned on the headlights and high beams and they did not look weak at all without the car on. I'm still perplexed.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    something must have been damaged in the transfer process. have you studied it under a magnifying glass?

12. SurferKim

SurferKim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No I have not but will later today but from the naked eye it does not look like anything is damaged.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't think of any way to de program a fob. magnet maybe?

14. SurferKim

SurferKim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK update. I unplugged the 12v and waited and plugged in again the remote still does not open doors. I took the motherboard out of the new fob case checked it with a magnifying glass and no obvious problems. Left it out and pushed CR 2032 battery on bare board again did not work but red light goes on for each button. I have checked the under dash button for key and is in right position. Maybe somehow the mother board had some damage but can't see it. what do you guys think and that is my only fob. there was only one when I bought it two year ago. What are my options now can I get one off the internet and program it . Is that possible when I don't have a working one? Thanks guys and gals.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pm member 'ovni', he's the gen 2 fob guru. check some of his threads for helpful info.

16. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I vote unseen electrical contact damage on MB.

Order two NEW SKS Fobs from a Toyota dealer who sells online, or get a local Toyota dealer to price match.

Tow Prius to dealer to have the Immobilizer and SKS ECU reset, then programmed with the new Fobs.

B/C you have to get the ECUs reset, you could buy used SKS Fobs. But I discourage this b/c who knows how long the buttons will work, or if those Fobs even work.

17. SurferKim

SurferKim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm inclined to agree with you on the possible damage to motherboard not being visible that's all I can think of. As far as ordering two new fobs from the dealer for hundreds of dollars I think I would rather open it manually and put the fob in the ignition thanks.

18. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm thinking that the SKS ECU has lost track of your keyfob. The immobilizer ECU still recognizes the transponder. So you can drive the car using the keyfob in dash, and lock/unlock the doors with the mechanical key.

You're going to need an "all keys lost" procedure to get the proximity/button functions back. A "seed reset" will allow addition of a new/used keyfob. A dealer will do it for something like $500. Or you can buy a used keyfob for $80, get a "mini VCI" for $25, and a seed lookup for $35. Then spend an afternoon banging your head against it...

See Successful SKS Reset using Mangoose cable and used Keyfob registration | PriusChat for a link to a guy in Lithuania who sells seed values.

Your current keyfob may or may not still work after the seed reset. I'd start out with a different keyfob, and then try adding the original one back in.

Merged.

Here's a link to a locksmith in the Los Angeles area who seems to handle Prius keyfob situations like yours:

Lee’s Key & Locksmith - 17 Photos - Keys & Locksmiths - 3120 1/2 W 8th St - Koreatown - Los Angeles, CA - Reviews - Yelp

#18 RobH, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016
  19. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You say for now, you can live w/o SKS. In due time, you will want and pay to get SKS back.

$108.99 each, from Daytona Toyota, and no sales tax (I just experimented and went through the purchase motions on Amazon).
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0089KNGNQ/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
    Hopefully it is the FOB w/ the Silver logo on the back.

20. SurferKim

SurferKim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes it is the one with the silver on back but how will this help me?