1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Lift Handle Gate Came off, cannot open trunk

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kathy0012, Apr 19, 2020.

1. kathy0012

kathy0012 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For a while now, my 2007 Prius trunk handle had been melted and I've limited the tries on how many times I open my trunk. Just last week, I pulled the handle too roughly and the entire trunk hatch has came off. My car battery is now dead because the trunk is "open" and I'm not sure if I can even replace the trunk hatch without being able to open the trunk. HELP! I have no idea what to do, especially with a shelter in place!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

CA is a fairly large state, which metroplex are you near?

Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  3. kathy0012

kathy0012 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am near Oakland!

4. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    For starters, you can always open the hatch from inside. If you pull the plastic tray out before you close the hatch, you'll have fairly easy access. There should be a little metal plate down next to the gap the hatch latch slides into. I believe you pull up on it to release. It's been a little bit since I had to do it when I was replacing my hatch switch cover.

Here's a link on how:
    How to Open Your Toyota Prius Trunk (a.k.a Boot) When Your Battery Is Dead | AxleAddict

jerrymildred and SFO like this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When my hatch lock mechanism failed, I tied a piece of string to that release handle which was long enough to reach back to and over the rear seat, as it would be a while until I got the part and effected a repair. I then used the remote to unlock the car and if I want to open the hatch I opened the back door and pulled on the string. Worked a treat. (Actually, thinking about it, the string was long enough so I could reach the hatch and lift the hatch when I pulled on the string.)

As far as repair goes, the part you need is a Rear Hatch Garnish, that comes pre-painted (if OEM) but you can get cheap knock offs that seem to do the job, but are not necessary pre-painted. It sounds like you might need at least a new switch cover (again available from third parties) and maybe a new hatch switch. As you will be taking it all apart anyway to fix the garnish, you may as well do the cover if it is going gooey and a new switch so you don't have to deal with removing the goo off the old switch.

#5 dolj, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    edthefox5 and jerrymildred like this.
  6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me know if you need a hand opening the hatch, or with charging/replacing the 12v.

edthefox5 likes this.