1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Multifunction Display fading.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tia Deb, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Tia Deb

Tia Deb New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First time posting, think this post is within the rules. IMG_0492[1].JPG IMG_0491[1].JPG I have a 2007 (gen 2). Recently the Multifunction Display has faded from the center of the screen. The light adjustment wheel is on full. The brightness and contrast setting are at maximum. The dashboard lights are fine. The touch-screen functions work if you press the right places (A/C, radio, etc.). The photos were taken at dusk, less is visible in sunlight. The 'green ghost' in the lower left is reflection of my phone. Are there 'light bulb type' parts in the MFD that can be replaced? Or is this a 'buy another MFD' issue? Not squeamish about taking it apart. It's JUST out of warranty and we replaced the hybrid battery 2 weeks ago (ourselves). Any suggestions are appreciated.

SteveKHollywood likes this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks to me a bit like what you get with polarization. Perhaps thereare 2 screens over the display and one has somehow gotten twisted. Someone with more sense than me will possible answer your question later, but that's all I can offer. (n)

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe a loose connection? or just a defective screen that needs replacing.

RCO likes this.
  4. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RCO likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like you need to buy a replacement MFD; remove the original so that you can determine the correct part number, and look on eBay for a used unit.

donbright likes this.
  6. SteveKHollywood

SteveKHollywood New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the EXACT same issue.. Same 2007 Prius.. And also live in Florida.. Would rather not have to buy a whole new MFD.. Any way to just change the screen? Or clean it?

CPate2020 likes this.
  7. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    i don't think cleaning is gonna help, but give it a shot before buying a reman on eBay.

10. The Other Guy

The Other Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I also have the same problem with my screen on the MFD. Did you find a solution to this? My current assumption is that this is being caused by sun damage to the screen. I also live in Florida and I noticed that the screen darkening started after my A.C. went out. I drive with my windows down a lot causing the MFD to be in direct sunlight. I know there is a polarized filter in front of the screen and I wm wondering if it can be replaced easily.

11. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need back light to see the screen like a led tv. It normaly a light on the side of the screen either the light gone out or it not in place

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  12. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is sun you just need a new dark tint. Filter (window tint) you can tell him dark of time by the the spot that still works a little lighter. I think you back light out on one of the side of the screen kind like dash lights but on the side

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. HV Battery

HV Battery New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    it looks as if it's gotten too hot, what temperature weather do you live in? Probably best just to replace the unit for a cheap used one on eBay

14. JBuckPrius

JBuckPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what our 2006 screen looks like...just not as dark. We spent many years in south Florida before this happened. What have you done to repair it? Is it a backlight? Or, has the screen been sun damaged? What have you done to remedy the situation?

15. EchoAlphaMike

EchoAlphaMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two

16. EchoAlphaMike

EchoAlphaMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2005 with the exact same problem. I thought that it might be the digitizer screen, which controls the touch screen function, and which is the least expensive to replace, so I dismantled the MFD, and replaced it. Although it did improve the viewability of the screen it did not completely correct the problem. It appears that the main culprit is the units LED which sits behind the digitizer. I believe the best alternative is to find a good used MFD. The dismantling of the MFD to replace the digitizer is time consuming but can be done with patience. The biggest problem in removing the MFD was removal of the A/C vent covers which were so brittle with age that they all broke when being removed, regardless of how careful I was.

17. Nickkliesen

Nickkliesen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It seems this is a common Florida Problem I am going to change out my digitizer this weekend to see if it resolves the problem if not i will begetting a reman unit to replace the whole unit

18. CPate2020

CPate2020 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the exact same issue with my 2009 MFD. The Southeast heat must’ve fried it. Bought a used one from EBay and swapped it out and it’s alive again.