1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 New Struts Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Grzldvt, May 23, 2023.

1. Grzldvt

Grzldvt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got a 2007 for free that cost me $5K to get back on the road, It has 217K on in it I am bottoming out on even mild dips in the road. Need a decent strut, while cost is an issue for this car I can afford adding higher end struts.
    I looked around and the KYB's seem to be a good option, but what else?

2. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    KYB at Rock Auto

3. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I also would go KYB at Rock auto. I did all 4 and the difference is amazing. Do the front sway bar links as well and get an alignment afterwards. Well worth it.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would go KYB myself too I like the gas adjust not the gas rider or the GR series I don't know what all they make today these are what I use back in the day I'm sure koni And a few other specialty makers probably make inserts. That can be applied to these models . I have had other Corollas other cars where they said the cartridges weren't replaceable and we cut the tops of the strut tubes off thread the insides fit a special unit that fits in the tube that we've now created You measure from your thread bottoms to the bottom of the tube then you order a cartridge that will fit in that limit it'll usually come with a nut supplied that's going to fit the hole you just threaded I have all the specs for the whole threading and all that ain't even have still have the die here. We did this quite a few models of car so we could get the really nice struts in our auto cross cars. It's not that big of a deal I'm not sure that I would need this kind of strut and spring set up on a Prius but it can be done as you've seen people have lifted these things I don't know man 18 in off the ground and whatnot.