1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 power steering fail

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by depriusoto, Sep 19, 2013.

1. depriusoto

depriusoto Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the 2007 my wife drives has no power assisted steering as of yesterday. This afternoon I drove it around the neighborhood and yup, its like driving a 42 DeSoto.

The red triangle is on the dashboard
    NO CEL
    NO MFD message - everything is normal

Plugged in my ScanGauge II and there are no DTC codes.

reading some other posts am I correct that this is a failed steering ECU?

Thanks,
    Ed K

2. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just bought a 2005 that was into the dealer for a steering shaft recall on 8/13..the recipet says replace "I-Shaft" and bolts....not sure if thats your problem but it was an intermit problem..sorry I have no other info....hope it helps

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It could just be worn brushes in the power steering motor. An ohm meter test of the motor will show open circuit if this is the case. An alternative with the motor disconnected is to feed it 12 volts. The steering should spin one way and reversing the connections will make it spin the other if the motor is OK.

John (Britprius)

4. depriusoto

depriusoto Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPdate. My local independent Prius dealer tells me that I need a new PS power supply to the tune of $1100.00 and that has to be put in before they can test the PS motor. I like these guys but I've not heard about this PS power supply before. Anyone else have to replace one of these babies?
    Ed

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is the power steering ECU they are talking about.
    You can by these second hand at a fraction of that price. It is a plug in unit, but would require calibrating once fitted "a few minutes work". You can test the power steering motor as outlined in my previous post, and that may be what is wrong.

John (Britprius)

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As Britprius says, testing the PS motor does not require anything but a 12V source and some clip leads. However, that may be above what some mechanics are willing to do. That said, there have been reports of the odd failure of the power steering ECU (or power supply), so it is a more likely suspect. But I would definitely go with a salvage/used/eBay part before getting a new one from the dealer.