1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius 185k miles does not start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 5720491, Dec 26, 2017.

1. 5720491

5720491 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi
    I just bought a 2007 Prius with 185k miles on that, the first 12v battery was dead I jump start the car and it was running but so many issues on that. Red triangle sign then vsc sign then inspection mode sign and then main battery sign check engine sign pop up but I drove the car to home. Next morning I check the youtube they said that clean the fan in the back which gives air to the main battery, disconnect the 12v and main battery orange part I clean up the fan and put everything back and car does not want to do anything.
    The red triangle sign is gone but it does not get ready if I put it drive or reverse it went back to N. Main battery is draining fast and car cannot move engine does not start inspection mode light is on battery sign vsc sign check engine sign all r on, I don’t know what to do some one told me to change the 12v battery because I jump the car to start. Pls advice me what to do

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The first two items that jump out at me are the 12v battery health and the orange safety disconnect on the HV battery.

It is IMPERATIVE that you have a healthy 12v battery. That is what supplies power to all the car's computers. If you had to jump start it to get it home, most likely, the drive was not long enough to provide any real charge to the battery. If you purchase a charger, make sure you do not exceed 3.5 amps while charging the battery. That is what is recommended in my manual, due to the battery being an AGM style, small capacity battery.

If you removed the orange safety disconnect from the HV battery, you need to make sure you installed it correctly. There are THREE steps to inserting the disconnect. Step one is to slide the disconnect into it's receptacle. Step two is to rotate the handle/lever upward until it is vertical, which will pull the disconnect completely into it's receptacle. Step 3 is to push the handle straight down until it clicks into place. This step connects an interlock circuit to tell the car the disconnect is properly inserted. If you don't perform step 3, the car will NOT go to ready condition.

Andyprius1 and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. 5720491

5720491 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the advice, let me do the steps again to make sure the Hv battery is connected properly, and also I am planing to buy the small 12v battery and see it will work or not. I will post the latest if it works thanks again

4. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Will be interested to hear how it goes. You will definitely need to replace the 12V battery from what I have read and heard.

5. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Once you install the new 12 volt battery, get your DTC's read/pulled and report back here. Remember not all OBDII scanners are compatible with the Pri. Best bet is a mini VCI cable and an older Windows OS laptop such as Windows 7. The cable can be had on Ebay or Amazon for around $30.00. If that is too much trouble your local dealership can retrieve the codes for a diagnostic fee. If you go this route make sure to get a print out of the codes and any sub-codes.

6. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It's really unfortunate you have to have that old Windows OS to use these. That's what stopped me.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There are many versions of the mini-vci that run on 64 bit computers.

8. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    When I looked into it, the complexity just got too much for me.