1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius, 70K miles, what major service?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Scott Seattle, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Scott Seattle

Scott Seattle New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi all, I have a 2007 Prius with ~70K miles. I am the original owner and have had normal oil changes at my local Toyota dealer. It has new tires, new 12v battery a few years ago, some light bulb changes, and one door lock fix. Other than that, no other repairs or services. They dealer has never recommended any major services and I have not done any.

I am wondering what the group here would recommend I get done (maintenance) to make sure this car remains trouble free.

Thank you

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    nothing until 120k. you may want to change the tranny fluid, but toyota calls it 'lifetime'.

just follow the maintenance schedule in the o/m. tires, filters, oil. maybe the serpentine belt is 105k? i can't remember.

biglew8 likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ever had a brake maintenance? 30K miles or 36 months is a good rule of thumb; that's the US schedule I believe.

I'd second the transaxle fluid change: be sure to use Toyota ATF WS.

biglew8 and bisco like this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It does not sound as if you have had the 60,000 service, if not get it.
    http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/07ToyMS_MS0003/pdf/07ToyMS_MS0003.pdf

2007 Prius 60,000 Miles - 72 Months

Replace engine oil and oil filter
    Rotate tires
    Replace cabin air filter (if equipped)
    Replace engine air filter

Inspect the following:
    __ Ball joints and dust covers
    __ Brake lines and hoses
    __ Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
    __ Differential oil (included in transmission)
    __ Drive belt
    __ Drive shaft boots
    __ Engine coolant (also Inverter coolant, same stuff, different loop)
    __ Engine valve clearance
    __ Exhaust pipes and mountings
    __ Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
    __ Fuel tank cap gasket
    __ Radiators, and condenser
    __ Steering gear box
    __ Steering linkage and boots
    __ Transmission fluid or oil (consider changing this if you have not)

Seattle is humid enough you should have you brake fluid tested, and replaced as needed. Replacement is most likely a dealer item.

I cleaned up the list a little to make it Prius specific.

In theory, you should be approaching the 120 month service, but it is nothing special, 144 months will be major.

5. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello fellow Seattleite! I agree with @JimboPalmer that you should get the 60,000 mile service. Every 30,000 miles, it is recommended to replace both the engine air filter and cabin air filter. Both of mine were pretty dirty when I changed them out last month. I would recommend a brake flush if you haven't had one yet. Also a transaxle fluid drain and refill. It is recommended by other members here to do it every 60,000 miles.

Which dealership do you take your Prius to? Toyota of Bellevue serviced my Prius last month. They charge $125 for transaxle fluid drain and refill and $137 for the brake flush. I had both of them done by them. Their pricing is not bad compared to the other Toyota dealerships in the Seattle area. You can also check with Toyota of Renton to see how much they charge for those services. Their pricing is decent and they have taken care of me. Talk to Eddie Cribby at Bellevue and Matt Malich at Renton. Good luck!

6. Scott Seattle

Scott Seattle New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks all for your replies/help. What a great community! It looks like I will get the 60K service including the transaxle fluid change and brake maintenance.

@biglew8 I also take my Prius to Toyota of Bellevue and have been happy with their service and pricing.

biglew8 likes this.