1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 prius ac leaking water on floor board

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by spc10s, Apr 1, 2017.

1. spc10s

spc10s New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello I just got my first prius and it's great but the ac is leaking water on the floor board pretty seriously, I have looked through the forums and have done the things everyone suggested for this apparently common problem, I have changed the cabin air filter which was ridiculously clogged, I sucked out the condensate drain tube with a shop vac, and I used the foaming coil cleaner into the condensate drain tube, but still the problem persists. So I'm wondering if the next step is to replace the ac coil? it seems like if the coil was bad the ac wouldnt blow cold but maybe I'm wrong? What i'm thinking is maybe because the cabin filter was so clogged that maybe the coil froze at some point and cracked the drain system? If anyone could suggest a video to replace the coil or has another suggestion for stopping the leak it would be much appreciated! Thanks

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The cabin air filter has nothing to do with it. If there's still water leaking in, that means it's still clogged.

jerrymildred and edthefox5 like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like u have done all the proper steps so far. My question is
    Now after hopefully getting the clog out do you see any water coming out
    Of the drip tube? I know you say it's still leaking but you should see some water out of the tube in addition to the perceived leak.
    If the tube has water coming out how much?
    Water should really flow out not drip.
    If no drip at all or slow drip I would say the tube is still not clear.
    It's at the lowest point in the evap box.
    Lastly are u doing all this yourself or having ac car guys do it.
    If yourself bring it to car ac business and let them try. Do anything you can to fix it as replace,ent is very expensive as the entire dash has to come out and then ac has to be recharged correctly.

Toyota issued a tsb years ago with a new style ecoil that was less mold prone.
    But like any other car you have to periodically clean that ecoil.
    I think smoking ruins it just like smoking at home.

JC91006 likes this.
  4. spc10s

spc10s New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    THank you for the reply, I checked the drain tube and not much water is coming out of it so I'm guessing that it is still clogged I hooked the vac up to it again and and shooting compressed air into it, still it is leaking and not draining, I am going to take your advice and take it to an ac shop tomorrow, I will keep you posted.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope they get the clog out. They have a better vac attachment
    To suck out the drip tube. And stronger chemicals.
    In the st Pete Tampa area Ice Cold Air does a good job they know the Prius pretty well too.
    Replacing the ecoil is a bitch.

To anyone reading it's a very good idea to maintain the ecoil.buy koolit on amazon as it has the rubber hose attachment to connect to the drip tube and inject foamy cleaner up into the ecoil and clean it and the drip tube.
    Keeps drip tube clear and mold from backing up especially if u smoke in the car. Makes the car smell nice too.
    In Florida with ac on max water should pour out of that drip tube.

6. spc10s

spc10s New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I took it into Ice cold air st pete, they spent a couple minutes shooting compressed air in it and they said the evaporator is bad and I would have to replace it, So I'm going to tear the dash apart and replace the evaporator, heater core, and the expansion valve. Is there any good video or doc for that, I've watched several on taking the dash apart, seems really easy, compared to working on BMW's.

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
  8. spc10s

spc10s New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had read about that but I was under the impression I wouldn't need to replace the compressor.

9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    But to change any Part you need to vacuum the system first. And then fill it back up when the part is replaced.

10. spc10s

spc10s New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok yes, I'm having a shop do that party but I will make sure they use the noon conducting oil, thank you!

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Best bet is go to Toyota.techinfo and buy a one day or it a three day subscription to the factory manual. Get your printer ready and print away. A lot of disassembly.