1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 prius almost all warning lights are on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by m14s29e, Nov 28, 2020.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are likely correct, one cell in one of the modules in block 11 has died.

Each block has 2 modules.
    Each module has 6 cells.

#21 dolj, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    m14s29e likes this.
  2. m14s29e

m14s29e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Battery problems continue. The car sometimes stop charging the battery, and it's stuck in 1st gear. It gets better when i close and open the vehicle. I need to change it urgently...

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're off to a good start... You've only spent $700 for it... You've already diagnosed it... Yet another classic hybrid battery repair opportunity that could only cost you $30 if you're lucky. OR pass it off to "professionals" and pay $2K... How much DIY do you want to do?

There's 28 batteries in a prius pack and each battery is about 8 volts. Your job is to get data on every one of them, or even better recondition all of them by discharging and charging three times, then replacing the bad ones.

#23 PriusCamper, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    m14s29e likes this.
  4. m14s29e

m14s29e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I definitely want to do it myself. I didn't buy this car just to drive. This will be my first tear. I'm thinking of going to work soon. Thank you for everything. Can you tell me where to get the modules? We also need a charger to charge it. I'm waiting for your suggestions.

5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use these chargers: iMAX B6 V2 Changer and you can use 12v 50W lightbulbs to discharge faster than the 10w resistor in the charger. These chargers are only $30 but you need to buy your own power supply, unless have an old 15v laptop power supply laying around. Also having more than one charger speeds things up dramatically... I currently have 7 chargers and 7 light bulb dischargers. It speeds things up big time.

As for modules, if you can find a pack at a junk yard for super cheap and work on that pack first, it makes simply swapping out packs when problems come up a way more viable approach. As for replacement modules, my buddy Joe in Oregon has $30K in testing equipment and teaches hybrid repair at local college. His $30 replacement modules are way better than others and he's vary personable and will take time to talk on the phone if you need help: Hybrid Battery Conditioning | Reconditioned Hybrid Car Batteries Service

m14s29e likes this.
  6. m14s29e

m14s29e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    SKyRC V2 chargers have a faster processor and higher wattage and it makes it way faster. Beware though, chargers that are 2 or 4 chargers in one have odd ways of splitting up the wattage between each charging channel and you may end up buying a really low powered charger that takes a long time even though you're charging 2 or 4 modules at once... Also modules that need reconditioning charge real fast and that's not good so...

m14s29e likes this.
  8. m14s29e

m14s29e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dr prius shows these readings. That's how it is when it starts charging. And when I step on the gas, it's the other way around.

Attached Files:

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, correct, that's how a module with a failed cell behaves.

You have a failed cell in one of the modules in block 11.

Time to get your plan of action together. It is not going to get any better by itself.

m14s29e likes this.
  10. m14s29e

m14s29e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ordered the charger. First, I'm going to try to recharge the broken cell. If not, I'll buy a new one.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no new one.

You can charge that module to the cows come home that wont fix it. It wont hold a charge that's the issue.

During a rebuild every single module has to be charged then load tested to see how it behaves under load. The weak sisters that fail a load test must be replaced. But its just a whack a mole job really becasue you will be buying and using the same old vintage used modules that came in your car they just have not failed at that time yet. There is no new G2 modules unless you buy a band new pack from the dealer. Time/age is a bitch to a battery no matter what state its been maintained.

Then after you get all your kinda good old modules together you really need to outboard charge the entire pack using a charger to balance the pack as a whole. So its a big long time consuming job not to mention replace all the rotten buss bars and nuts and temp sensors to do it right.

m14s29e likes this.
  12. m14s29e

m14s29e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm going to buy a new one that's been used. I have no choice :/

13. m14s29e

m14s29e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sometimes the vehicle engine is disabled in the driving . It gets better when you restart it. This is very difficult in terms of driving.

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hmm not sure what your saying.

m14s29e likes this.
  15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At first it seems that way, but as the years go by and you acquire more gear and experience and know the joy of helping people save thousands of dollars that they can't afford to spend, it's not time consuming at all...

It's similar to people who live out of town in rural areas, or if you get a short term job outside of town... When you first do the drive it seems to take forever to do all that driving, but the more you do it, the quicker it seems to go. As in time is relative.

MrPete and m14s29e like this.
  16. m14s29e

m14s29e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Something bad happened to me today. I was driving at 75 mph on the highway. And the car suddenly made a mistake. Everything on the dash screen has disappeared. And even though I gassed it, it didn't work. I pulled over, and it never work again. I'm getting a new bug. Error code is P0A78. I tossed the car into my house. Tomorrow the charger will come, I'll start taking care of the car. I have about three days' free time. I'm going to spend all my time on the car.

17. m14s29e

m14s29e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some of the batteries exploded!!! I'm going to change all that. After I charge the others, I'll measure their value. Omg. Lucky for me, my car didn't burn.

Attached Files:

18. m14s29e

m14s29e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ripped out the inverter and battery today. The charger's coming tomorrow. I'll charge it and see the results. I don't know if the inverter is troubled. I will try.

19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep... When a battery pack fails it can give you a false error code that points to a bad inverter when in truth the only problem is the battery pack. That happened to me Summer before last. I still have the replacement inverter sitting on my shelf. I'm thinking I need to sell it because I've yet to find anyone with a Gen2 who needs a used replacement inverter, which of course means it will be hard to sell.

Please let us know what you learned from the damage and how the rest of us can avoid it from happening? Did you clear the error codes too many times and kept driving as the pack overheated? Or was it less negligent than that?

20. m14s29e

m14s29e Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unfortunately, I kept driving. I drive for my job. If the inverter is defective, I'll contact you. I'm sure you'll set an affordable price. Thank you for everything. I'll recharge the batteries tomorrow. I'm going to weed out the bad ones. I'll replace the bad with the good.

PriusCamper likes this.