1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius audio question...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tvspaulmoore, Aug 15, 2016.

1. tvspaulmoore

tvspaulmoore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there
    I have an 07 Prius with stock radio/CD- with an aux port in the center console

Long story short, the aux connection is intermittent- when plugged in it sometimes won't recognize an input and feed it through- sometimes will

Coincidentally my daughter put a coin into the CD player (which seems to work regardless most of the time)
    But it seems as if the whole stereo will now periodically turn itself off and whirr as if loading a CD

My question/s: since the process of removing the CD player is so cumbersome...

- once removed, is there a way of getting a coin out of the player?

- if I'm removing it anyway for the coin, is there anything I can do to fix the connectivity with the console aux port? Or should I consider replacing the whole thing (would need to be a cheap replacement option!)

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Buy this.
    Amazon.com: iClever Himbox HB01 Bluetooth 4.0 Hands-Free Car Kit with 3.5mm Aux Jack, Multi-Point Access, Siri / Voice Activation, Dual USB Charger & Magnetic Base, Updated Aluminum Ring - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Once it is working with the AUX. Tape it up and never remove it.
    Take all your CDs and convert to MP3.
    Never use your car CD player again.
    Use your phone through BT to play music.

Cost is $30. Time to pull apart your CD player and take out the coin? Hours upon hours...

PS If AUX is truly dead, consider an FM transmitter Bluetooth adapter. My 2005 does not have an AUX and that's what I use. Audio quality not the greatest but $30 is way less than time and cost involved for replacement.

3. tvspaulmoore

tvspaulmoore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks but yes the AUX seems to be dead (tested again this morning with a new aux cable just in case)

4. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're handy with a soldering iron and don't mind the CD player always thinking there's something plugged in try this:
    Aux audio input fault on Gen II Prius - A Cheap Repair that works (Part 86190-53010) | PriusChat

In that same thread you can see the replacement part you would need if you otherwise just want to replace it.

I've pulled the CD player out to put in my own deck below it (but be able to close the door on my deck when parked so that my Prius looks stock and doesn't attract thieves) and it's not too hard to do. Here's a youtube of the procedure:

If you're handy with tools, most likely you can then take apart the CD player to remove the quarter.

#4 Kevin_Denver, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016