1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius. Bad Engine. Part out? Trade in?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by slovbob, Nov 2, 2018.

1. slovbob

slovbob New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new here. Lurked a few threads here and there. My car broke down from what toyota told me is a hole in the engine block. The battery was conditioned a few months ago. It was running great until this big problem came up out of nowhere. Im looking for opinions on what to do. Or if anyone has had similar problems and what they did. Car has 155000ish miles. Im in northeast PA, if there are any members in this area that want to talk.
    thanks

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Stay away from the car stealership and find a responsible reliable mechanic that won't destroy you with dealership-style dishonesty.

That being said how big is the hole? Is it tiny and car still runs or huge and engine is blown up? Hard to suggest repair options without more details...

3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the home was caused by a broken connecting rod, you either rebuild the engine, or buy another one. But looking at your kiw mileage, if it were me, I'd have the engine block replaced only, then reused the existing too cylinder.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Depends on your future plans and diy abilities. If you don’t mind dropping some cash to keep it running, 150k isn’t that much mileage. You can get a used engine installed for under 2k. Plan on potential future issues like battery, brake actuator, mid, a/c and etc

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:
    • Where in NEPA are you located?
    • What are your plans for it?
    • Would you source an engine yourself then try to find a mechanic?
    • Or have the mechanic do that?
    I’m originally from that area (grew up outside of Harvey’s Lake) and Harry’s u-Pull it is near there for a source of an engine. There are some good wrench turners there too, but not sure if they are willing to take on an engine swap or not.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Skibob likes this.
  6. slovbob

slovbob New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm north of Scranton. The car was towed from AAA to Toyota in Scranton, because I didn't know of any other mechanics in the area to tow it. The dealership could put in a used engine for a rediculous price, almost what I paid for the car used a little over a year ago. Options I'm considering at this point are selling parts I can quick, like the battery that my dad and I reconditioned a few months ago, scrapping the whole thing or calling a car donation place to take it away. I'm not sure of exact details of the damage, I just know what Toyota told me with them not taking it all apart and charging me for that labor. The option to pick up an engine and have a local mechanic or do it myself isn't really worth it at this point I don't think. I don't have a place to have it sit for however long it will take. I may put it up for sale as is and try to get something for it, but I don't think the dealership would want to have it sitting in their lot for too long. It's been there about two weeks now.
    I appreciate all the response and any further input greatly!

Raytheeagle and PriusCamper like this.
  7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for following up with us... Too often people post and then never return and we're left to talk amongst ourselves.

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Easiest fix is to get only the engine block with pistons in it, and tranfer the top cylinder to it. But I'm afraid, guys in the USA don't go through lots of that. They want easy fixes(just in an engine, and we're done).