1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius... brake actuator or other issue?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by nicholas.prete, Apr 30, 2017.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry if I'm missing something, but it looks to me Patrick's car had a code (DTC C1256, acccumulator low pressure). Mine didn't. Just a lot of noise. And mine was noisy with the pedal pressed, that one was pumping w/o pressing the pedal. The dealer tried for an hour to get mine to throw that code. Wouldn't do it. If a dealer managed to get Toyota to pay for a new pump w/o a code, that's GREAT. Mine didn't. Nicholas has a code, too, so he might be golden when he shows it to the dealer, even though it's not the same as Patrick's.

RCO likes this.
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My bad, thought we were talking about codes and lights being triggered (or not), hence the link to Patrick's post regarding no lights being diplayed, yet still having the needed DTC trigger/logged for a dealer warranty replacement.

Not so sure the current code (C1300) that Nicholas has will cover him under the extended replacement warranty for the brake actuator. Would I pay up to $200 to find out, doubtful.

3. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Understood. I knew one of us was confused and I try not to rule out myself. :D

+1 on that C1300 maybe not opening the door for a free replacement. Maybe another code that they missed, though, and the dealer would see? Hopefully.

4. nicholas.prete

nicholas.prete New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to call the dealership today. How do I present myself as assertive yet polite regarding this issue? Do you think they'd care if I pointed out that I had the codes and not the lights; and that it should be covered under that extended warranty?

5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems to me to be worth a try.

6. nicholas.prete

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: I called the dealership. The woman who I talked to was very nice. Explained everything to me clearly. Diagnostic fee is $118. Should I risk it?

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't seem all the urgent and I doubt they will find the needed code, maybe go with the previous plan and wait it out for another 5 months or so.

You might want an OBD2 scanner in the near term to check it yourself without having to pay $118 each time before the end of the year. The bluetooth adapters for an Android start at $2 and a mini-vci cable for the laptop is $15, if you bought both you would still have $100 in your pocket and the option of using it at the dealer down the road (assuming you have the needed code, or feel like gambling again).

RCO likes this.
  8. nicholas.prete

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an Automatic (ODB a reader plus a car statistic device) but since there aren't any lights it isn't capable of reading anything.

9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure why someone would make a device that can only read 'current' codes and not logged codes, my guess is it doesn't work with hybrids all that well. ( Automatic: Connect Your Car to Your Digital Life )

Have you tried the 'Check Engine Light' feature from within the app already?

RCO likes this.
  10. nicholas.prete

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys! Another update. I've been tracking the codes on my car, and the C1300 code was first read, as you know. It then went away for two weeks (I'm assuming the computer cleared the code.) I noticed something yesterday - that brake pump noise comes on every time I press my foot on the break. I had my mechanic friend read the ODB codes again yesterday aide it was, again, the C1300 ECU/ABS code. I think it's definitely time to take it into Toyota and see what's up. What do you guys think?

11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed. I think codes on brakes and improper noises from brakes should be looked into immediately. There's only one thing a car absolutely has to be able to do and that is stop before it hits something. Just my two percent of a dollar's worth. ;)

RCO likes this.
  12. nicholas.prete

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you! I've also noticed that seal barking noise constantly. It's every time I press on the brake. Along with the brake pump noise. Now, I did buy this car used so I was a bit unsure of how often that's supposed to happen. How often do those happen, for you guys?

13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My '05 was making that noise when I pressed the brake pedal. It also sometimes took a few seconds after "READY" mode before I had full brake pressure. But it would not throw a code, so the dealer could not fix it under warranty. If you're getting a code, go for it. I'm not sure if you're getting the right code for the extended warranty on the pump, but if you are, the repair will be free. I think the extended warranty goes through the end of this year. But I'd go see them right away. It should not make those noises except when it first comes on and pumps up the system.

RCO likes this.
  14. Larryy

Larryy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Nicholas, I just bought an 07 prius and had the same problem, and it got worse, the pump would only stay off for about 5 seconds. I stuck my head under the rear and I could hear rushing fluid. It was an "internal leak" in the accumulator. The Toyota dealer found that it was covered under a warranty extension so they replaced the actuator and the accumulator for free. Time is running out on the extension so I would hurry if I were you.

RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  15. nicholas.prete

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update again everyone! Car is currently at my local Toyota dealer. Hoping for good news here. I did have my mechanic friend get code C1300. Hoping the Toyota dealer gets the same code and finally figures out the problem. Every other time my foot hit the pedal the noise came on... haha. Got frustrating.

jerrymildred likes this.