1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Catalytic converter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pretyinpunk, Jul 10, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It really depends on type of oil used. Different oils use different additive packages, and some of them are not good for convertors, but those should have been phased out.

Most likely the light comes up b/c converter is clogged. THere are some products "specifically" designed to burn it off like this one (not an endorsement): Cleaning Catalytic Converter | Berryman Products
    "http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-Cataclean-120007-Cleaner-16/dp/B002BVXM92" etc

If I had a car to start oil consumption, the best is to replace valve stem seals (don't skim the difference btw cheap and quality nitrite rubber seals maybe a Jackson or two), and do the complete engine flush. This usually helps for some time,

2. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    really ? i didn't know that. A working used one would definitely work. Heck, I could swap a $300 new after market one for an used one from an out of state Prius, haha.

With regards to trying to clean the cat, I've tried 2 bottle of Cataclean and a few other secret sauce, no go. I think my Prius started burning oil around 150kmiles, so it has gone another 97K, i doubt it if it can be cleaned.

How long/far do you think i have to drive with a new cat to reset the code ? or after clearing the code ?

3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If this is the case the light eliminator you best bet. I know of people with eliminator who had code issue resolved permanently, despite having no converter left at all. (Converter was damaged in accident or removed by previous owner)

On emission test stations they say one week of daily driving, but it could be more. If it is not enough they will send you back. Just tell them that you had dead battery or some work done on the car if they ask.

If you need a tool to clear codes the ELM327 mini-OBDII plug is ~$5 on eBay and Torque app for Android. There is a free version, but if you like it and want additional features it is $5 good luck

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I saw this that this group says dilute citric acid removes the Phosphorous from the cat. But I also think it could be illegal in Ca or anywhere to try to fix the cat, so we are sort of hosed.

(phosphorous of course it's what in Lube Oil that can mess up the converter)

Ways to Fix a Catalytic Converter | eHow

5. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So how would any inspection or smog testing place KNOW if you installed a used cat from another Prius?? Dont they all look the same? Im imagining it might have to be welded on, Ive never noticed if its a bolt-on cat or not, but if they saw weld marks I'd just tell them I took it off to inspect it myself and welded it back on.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...apparently it is illegal so it might be hard to find

7. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been able to locate any used exhaust pipe, which includes the cat. I've heard the catalytic metal commands a decent price so most recycling yard sell them off. No, the inspection would not be able to tell if an used one is installed. But he/she is supposed to visually check for CARB certified cat

I wonder if an after market certified cat meeting the LEV-II and Tier emission as posted on the emission plaque is sufficient

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    30 grams of Platinum is $1000 and there is maybe 5-7 grams on there ballpark.
    Platinum is usually recovered/recycled after use, thankfully.

PS- Palladium can be instead of Pt so we don't really know what's on there

#28 wjtracy, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  9. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I dig a little deeper and finally find one citing saying that "after market" cat is required to eliminate only 70% of un-burned fuel and that requirement is dated in 1988. Present day OEM cat can do much better. Here's the link, on ebay of all places:

Re Certified Catalytic Converter Prius 1492592 04 05 06 07 08 09 1 5L | eBay

This used exhaust pipe from a 2008 Prius with only 83Kmiles, and have been re-certified would have work just fine, except for CA bureaucrats

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They gotcha blocked off.
    Maybe check out Lucious Garage web site to see what they are saying about it.

11. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I would try to find a used cat from a low mileage wrecked car. even if you have to go out of state to get it. just make sure its the whole pipe so there would be no welding needed. there is no way the emissions inspectors would be able to tell its used.

PriusGuy32 likes this.