1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Catalytic Converter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dang Pham, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Dang Pham

Dang Pham New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live in Washington state
    I have a 2007 Prius and the check engine light turn on today. I get the code check from AutoZone and it was P0420, they told me to replace new one
    I call a muffer shop and they said the part is $1,245 + tax and labor. But I also read some thread here that said you need to change the Ozygen sensor to clear the code which is alot cheaper

Can anyone help me with this? Is there any other options that I can get a new Converter for cheaper price?!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check with your dept of motor vehicle inspection rules. many state allow aftermarket cats as cheap as $150.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don't let them rip you off. Your old catalytic converter is worth $1350 just for scrap value, last time I checked. I've installed several aftermarket $150 cats on Gen 2 Prii and they're still going strong. $150 bucks and about an hour of my time.

If you were near me, I'd do the job for you. $400 out the door and you keep the old cats or I give you $800 and keep the old converter. There has to be someone in your area that would work a deal similar to that, depending on current scrap value.

#3 TMR-JWAP, Sep 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Another and Dang Pham like this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Cheap do-it-yourself option.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Not around the corner, but about an hour south is @PriusCamper

FYI : your posts are being moderated until you've posted 5 times.

6. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    May be exempted in Washington State?
    https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/cleancar.html

Types of vehicles that must meet Clean Car standards in Washington State
    • All new passenger cars, SUVs, vans, and pickup trucks with a model year of 2009 or newer must be certified to California emission standards. New vehicles that don't meet California emission standards cannot be registered, leased, rented, licensed, or sold for use in Washington.
    • Used vehicles must be certified to California emission standards if:
      • The vehicle is a 2009 or newer model.
      • The vehicle has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer.
      • The new owner is a Washington resident.
      • The vehicle isn't exempt (see below).
    Exempt vehicles
    The following types of vehicles aren't required to be certified to California emission standards:
    • 2008 or earlier vehicle models.

7. mathewjg

mathewjg Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Cat was stolen over 2 years ago - the day before I was departing on a long stay holiday. So I contacted my insurance and they organised the job. About 6 months later I was getting the engine light coming on so I took it to Toyota Servicing and they advised that as it was a non Toyota Cat, they would have to change the cat as well as the sensor, gaskets etc and charge £1400. A local non Toyota garage advised changing just the sensor as did the garage that did the original job. The insurance covered the cost (about £250). 12 months later the engine light came back on so I took it back to the local garage. They charged £65 for diagnosis which advised replacing the cat with an original Toyota one. Total cost about £1100 including diagnostics - thankfully refunded by the insurance company. That was done about a month ago. Toyota's advice to change everything seems to have been the correct one and worth considering - specially if you are not going through the insurance as you could end up spending quite a lot more. The new cat has a warranty that covers it against bringing up the engine light again for the next two years by which time the car will probably be scrapped as its 2008 with 160k miles.

8. mathewjg

mathewjg Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also worth consideration - My local Toyota dealer has increased their charge for replacing the cat to about £2100 including fitting a cat lock- expensive considering that the cat itself costs about £850, Sensor about £180 gaskets £50 and catlock £200.

9. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A 2008 with 160k miles is still a baby in Prius years