1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius - Check Engine, Red Triangle, VSC Lights - 12 volt battery issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tampaite, Jan 30, 2018.

1. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tampaite,

Value is obviously in the eye of the owner, but I have a little thumb-rule. If I have a car I like and it meets all my needs, I figure if I can maintain the car for an annual cost equal to or less than what 2 new car payments would be, then it's worth keeping. Can a new car be had for less than $500 a month (48 months)? So I guess in my case, as long as I can maintain my car for less than 1k per year, it's worth keeping.

If you're looking at a 5 year period, do you think you can maintain the car in your desired condition for 5k or less? Also, with a 5 year horizon, I would definitely have a GOOD HV battery planned in the near future. This alone will reap benefits due to reliability, mpg, etc.

Your options for a very reliable (5 year + timeframe) HV battery are most likely limited to a new Toyota battery, a battery kit from 2k1 toaster with his cylindrical design, or one of mine built using 2015/2016 Gen 3 or Gen 4 modules.

Petrodollar, Deft Jef, m.wynn and 2 others like this.
  2. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Question - Is it safe to drive the car as-is for couple more days ?

This is my daily commute car and have to either get a rental or drive as-is.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The typical HV battery failure starts as mostly an annoyance with 'every now and then' faults with only minor changes to how the car behaves, progressing to where the car is very slow to accelerate and eventually progresses to where it won't let you drive the car anymore. Unfortunately, during this, it tends to try to continually charge the battery at every opportunity. I've seen the cars driven for weeks during the early stages, but you just never know when it will hit that next stage. Could be weeks, could be hours. If you decide to drive it, just be a bit more gentle than usual. Heavy acceleration will cause large current draws, which triggers the fault more easily. Some have driven the car with a code reader attached so they can reset the codes on the fly. I've done that when testing older batteries, but use an android app and a Bluetooth wireless adapter instead of a hardwired code reader.

The more significant your commute, the more you may want to look into a rental. No one wants to be stuck on the side of the road, or have a car go kaput in the middle of heavy traffic.

4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From Bisco: always have the trouble codes read, before going to all the hassle of testing the 12v health.

For me anyway, it is a lot quicker and easier to test the 12v at the jumpstart point under the hood than to drag out my old laptop, etc. to see codes -- which as someone else mentioned may or may not be reliable.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the 12v only boots up the computers, it is almost unnecessary.

6. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Swapped out batteries but wasn't able to replicate the issue. Maybe since I didn't take the car for a ride and just let it sit in the Garage(It's past 10pm and didn't want to risk being stranded on the road at this hour). However, did notice that the battery would drain down(bars would disappear slowly) on the MFD.

#26 tampaite, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And what happens if you try and force charge it?

8. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eventually, it will charge back up and then show green and the engine would stop running.

When I switched back to the original battery, as soon as I started, the check engine and other lights would pop up.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Given your latest posts it sounds like you should replace the 12V battery, then see how the car does.

10. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can except that i can't ask my neighbour again to borrow his car. Wish there were places that would allow you to rent a 12v battery ?

11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You could use a lawn mower battery as a substitute to do your testing, they are cheap, they come in different cold cranking amps but would probably get you going.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Lots of someone elses have mentioned that lots of times, but have you ever seen it backed up? It would be straightforward to do: get the codes, learn what they are saying about the car, then test for the conditions they report and show that the car does not have them. I have yet to see such a post. The posts I do see generally read like cozy rationales for not investing the effort to read the codes and learn what they mean, so naturally they don't lead to finding out anything that could support or challenge the premise; that seems to be sort of the point.

Now I'm not talking about cases where an ECU contains a voltmeter, as many of them do, and reports a code that actually means "hey, volts look a tad low from here". Those cases do happen (and, it bears emphasis, provide absolutely no support for the idea that the ECU has been "confused" by the battery into reporting "unreliable" codes—what they support is the idea that the ECU has done exactly as it's programmed and reported a code that means exactly what it says).

I'm also not entirely ruling out cases where somebody has truly, honest-to-Pete, flattened a battery (there was a recent thread around here where somebody measured 4 volts open circuit). Since the logic circuits used to build the ECUs are likely designed for 3.3 or 5 volt supplies (and their onboard regulators probably need a volt or so of headroom), I at least wouldn't be shocked to be shown some erratic behavior in an extreme condition like that (though, it must be said, I still haven't been shown the kind of erratic behavior we're supposed to believe is so common, where the ECU correctly carries out its whole complex communication protocol to deliver codes to your scantool exactly according to spec, and only the codes are bogus—not even in those extreme cases).

But those are extreme examples, not representative of all the threads around here where there's a pile-on of posters competing to sound the most all-fired certain that there's no point asking the car what it's trying to tell you because the battery's some fraction of a volt below 11 so the ECUs can't possibly mean what they say. In those cases I'm pretty sure there's confusion involved, but not on the part of the ECUs.

-Chap

strawbrad and dolj like this.
  13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In post #5 the OP reported that the car logged DTC P0A80. Eventually he will determine whether the traction battery has failed; and if so that would be evidence that the codes reported in post #5 were valid.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And to follow on from what Chap just posted, because most people don't have the skill or equipment to conduct the diagnostics, nor have an understanding of how the computers talk to one another, and to them, it seems the information is incomprehensible. They then frantically try to make sense of what they see, by coming up with all manner of theories. The trouble is most of the theories are nonsensical.

If people followed a methodical diagnostic procedure, and understood what they were doing, it would become clear in a very short time where the problem or problems lay.

Here is a classic example of a poster who has received quite clear DTC information telling him exactly what is wrong, but chooses to not believe that and allow himself to be lead on a wild goose chase hoping against hope he will not need a new HV battery.

#34 dolj, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    strawbrad likes this.
  15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No matter how you spin it, P0A80 will have the same meaning, even after a new 12v.

strawbrad, fotomoto, m.wynn and 2 others like this.
  16. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really appreciate everyone chiming in. That said, I realize that I don't contribute a dime to this forum(I probably should donate) except when I make a purchase via the PriusShop link.

Also, it's member driven and I don't mind going thro' hoops to confirm or re-confirm the issue. it's my time alone that's being utilized and ofcourse, am sharing my experiences so it would help others.

I could have easily taken to Dealer and a mechanic and get it done but i would lose the experience of "knowing" how its done.

I will check for another 12v battery and see if I can replicate while driving. At 180k, I realize that the vehicle is past it's prime but we all want to get more out of our vehicles.

I also found another company that's selling rebuilt hybrid batteries - anyone use them before?

apollohybrid

17. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The opinion here is that ALL "rebuilt" batteries are a gamble, some less than others. Even those with longer warranties only include the battery, not installation. The best third-party solution right now for DIY is the kit of new cells sold by @2k1Toaster for $1600 shipped. @ericbecky put 4000 miles on one. He then removed it & traded in that car for other reasons. I have not seen any negative experiences reported with this kit.
    See my signature for details.

m.wynn likes this.
  18. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While waiting for another 12v battery, I decided to take the car around our community for a quick 2-minute drive and what has been consistent is that the fan on the rear seat turns ON(see stock photo) even though A/C is turned OFF.

noise_.JPG

I have no idea why. Is the hybrid cooling fan going into an overdrive mode to keep the battery from heating?

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking there is a shop TampaPrius...somebody help me here

20. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you are correct. Make sure you or the mechanic who fixes/replaces the HV battery cleans the fan.
    @TampaPrius.com or Todd at Home - Tampa Hybrids Inc. - (813) 241-5307

Before dropping money on some janky rebuilt with a 30 second / 30 feet warranty (whichever gets you further), why not see what Todd or @TMR-JWAP can offer you. Pretty sure SC is fairly close to FL.

#40 SFO, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Raytheeagle, wjtracy and Prodigyplace like this.