1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius - Check Engine, Red Triangle, VSC Lights - 12 volt battery issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tampaite, Jan 30, 2018.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is another symptom consistent with HV battery failure, so confirming the DTCs your posted earlier. Is it your normal practice to have the A/C off? The battery appreciates a nice cool (72ºF-76ºF) environment, so it might pay to have it on.

2. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK. I replaced the original 12v with another 12v battery. No symptoms on start-up and I drove the car for 5 miles, came back into the garage, shut down the car and then tried to re-start and viola all the dashboard lights come up even though we have a rare blue moon event today and was hoping none of the lights would come up :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Right on.

I checked online with Tampa Hybrid looks like Todd no longer does rebuilt batteries. Only sells used ones for $1500+ or new ones for $2800+

Yep. A/C is always off unless I need it when it's 80+ here in FL.

so I called Apollo Hybrids in Tampa and they do offer 'rebuilt' battery with 2 year warranty for $500 + $100 installation at their shop.

More to come...

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I understand prior posts, Toyota has recently reduced Gen2 HV batt price significantly. I wonder if Todd is aware of that.

4. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had no idea. Do you know how much Toyota is selling them for?

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Call your local dealer to find current Retail price for Gen 2 batteries. Some say they will not sell to consumers.
    Retail price last year was around $2,600.
    January 1 of this year the retail price dropped around $400.
    Remember, these are not fully assembled so some additional labor is involved to assemble them.

Wholesale price will be less than retail price, of course. Especially if you have an ongoing relationship.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Todd makes sure his used batteries are in good condition. Given the choice, I would choose a used low mileage battery over a rebuilt one. @jerrymildred here has been running a used battery from Todd for quite a while with no issues. Jerry is away without network access for a while though.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Called our local Toyota Dealer - it's $2500 + tax for new battery with $1600 core charge which I'll get back since I don't need the old battery.

Definitely, I don't see keeping the car for another 5-10 years so most likely will opt for a used one or a reconditioned one to get couple years from the car.

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looked up Apollo Hybrid, at least we know the home address if something goes wrong (not dissing or hating).

No yelp page for this business (hard to gauge without fake or real reviews), perhaps yelp doesn't list residential addresses?

If nearby, swing by this business and look at his setup, what type of gear do they use for reconditioning or balancing the batteries?

This could be an affordable and viable route if you just need a battery or to flip it.. I would opt for their 'rebuilding' your own battery with a 48+ hour turn around (though many here believe it takes longer) if the quoted price is the same, be sure to ask how they do the rebalancing process (top balance, bottom discharge balance, rinse repeat, etc).

If you do take it there, have them test/pull the codes pointing to the bad module(s), take the cover off the battery and you should document your current modules (pics of the serials) and know which ones will be replaced (should be obvious once rebuilt). Ask if they will shuffle the modules around in the pack (middle to outer edges), and if the fan will be cleaned during install.

Maybe you could trade in this current 'as is' prius for something from Todd?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good show ... all in all, better to get results quickly than to have the cleared code take a month or two to reappear.

I owe it to Augustus de Morgan to add that, while the part Patrick said is very much correct (finding the battery to have failed would be evidence the DTCs were valid), the part he didn't say is, also, correct: simple absence of a returning P0A80 code shortly after changing the aux battery would not be much evidence for the 'false codes' notion.

Evidence for the 'false codes' notion would have this form:

• Codes, subcodes, freeze frame data saved from original report (before wiping them out with battery change)
    • Suspect faulty modules/components identified based on that information
    • Teardown and direct exam of the suspect components, finding them to be free of the reported faults

Not an impossible bar to meet, but a higher one than just "changed the battery and looked like codes were gone."

-Chap

strawbrad likes this.
  10. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Now offering for new customers Low Mileage Battery with 1 year warranty installed for $939. (Limited Time Offer, so hurry because at these prices they are going fast !)

I'm not sure how that converts to brand new Panasonic modules, but I thought the 'for new customers' was kind of funny. How many repeat customers can there be? And wouldn't you want to offer a good deal to them also?

If actually new, could they be the Chinese prismatics?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would be bad if it is the Asian prismatics.
    I've never seen those work well.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called them to confirm what modules they were using. Again, I have no way of confirming over the phone.

14. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #54 tampaite, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  15. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will try and keep it positive here.

Where did you find "rebuild brand new Panasonic cells for $939 + tax with 1 year warranty", the only mention on $939 (without tax!) is on the homepage where I quote "Low Mileage Battery" and no where on that page does it mention the words "new" or "Panasonic".

Since this is (mostly?) a mobile service it doesn't sound like your battery would be balanced if rebuilt onsite at the $499 option.

There is a 'claimed' yelp page, with a single review.. if these batteries are 'going fast' at this price, where are the reviews?

This mobile service doesn't appear to have a physical address, what happens when you need to make a warranty claim and your call isn't answered?

Over all I *might*' trust Apollo over "Paul" with a random amount of money, but only because I have an address.

16. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding Panasonic, you didn't read my earlier post above.

I appreciate keeping it civil here. I feel comfortably buying it on eBay with Paypal protection so I can get my money back if they fail within 180 days.

17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What an absurd thing to say.
    I think you are almost unnecessary. :eek:

18. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think suggestion was testing it was almost unnecessary, not the battery itself. ;)

bisco likes this.
  19. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No but there have been COUNTLESS posts where they had a whole slew of codes set and replacing the old 12 V battery made them all go away......permanently. That is especially true when the 12 V battery TESTS BAD.

To be fair, sometimes it does NOT fix the underlying problem but ignoring the 12 V battery completely and chasing each of the codes individually BY GUESSING AND SHOTGUNNING PARTS AT IT (which is all most owners are really capable of doing; some dealers too) is just foolish.

20. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    A critical part of that diagnostic procedure is: The 12 v system that runs all of the computer boards.
    To overlook that critical first step is not worthy of being called "methodical".