1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius - Check Engine, Red Triangle, VSC Lights - 12 volt battery issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tampaite, Jan 30, 2018.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What happens when the thing craps out within a year, after the 6 month warranty has expired? Will you consider that $800 well spent? If so, go right ahead.

If after all the advice you have received, you are still looking for the cheap option, then go ahead. Anything that does not use new or newer modules is a crap shoot.

That eBay seller looks identical to ones that have come up time and again, and it has always ended in tears and much cost. You do not save any money in the long run by cheaping out buying a "rebuild".

Why keep posting links to rebuilds? We are not going to all of sudden say, "hey, that's a great deal. Go for it!"

Patrick Wong likes this.
  2. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I don't have $3K on-hand to pay the dealer. The used ones run around $1600+ so rebuild ones are affordable for short run.

Am looking for someone who may have bought from this eBay seller! Interested to hear from them as well.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You cannot compare USED cells to NEW cells.

You could swap out a single module in your existing vehicle for $50 without doing any balancing/matching mumbo jumbo and you might get lucky and it lasts 6 months. Why bother spending $800 for basically the same privilege of rolling the dice?

Nick's cylindrical batteries are NOT from CEBA, there are other players in the cylindrical field. Likely are from the similar suppliers that I used to import batteries from years ago.

There are NEW aftermarket prismatics, but I would shy away from them.

I would ask the supplier if the NEW cells are cylindrical or prismatic.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do understand funds are short, and buying new from the dealer is not the only option for buying new. If you are looking to spend up to $1600 on a rebuild, then why buy a rebuild when you could refurb your own battery for $1600 with new cylindrical cells from 2k1Toaster? Unfortunately in this sphere, there is no such thing as a free lunch. You get what you pay for.
    Fairly sure that website has been posted here by a person who used them and it all went pear-shaped.
    This is probably the number one point to get your head around.

#104 dolj, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Petrodollar likes this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One last thought.

How much is a typical monthly car payment? $300? $500? Say it is $300.

Get a personal loan from your bank for $2200. Make the repayments at the rate of you typical car loan ($300). The loan is paid off in 7.33 months.

Use the loan to pay a dealer or third party installer who will put in a new OEM pack. Second option, buy new module kit from 2k1Toaster for $1600 and find a capable mechanic to fit them for you, That cost should be no more than 6 hours labor & taxes.

This assumes you are not a DIY person. If you are then the costs are cheaper, smaller loan, quicker time to debt free.

I don't advocate people getting into debt, but sometimes it is the smarter move when compared to spending $800 now then doing it again within a year, then at some point either dumping the car or finally spending on a OEM new.

Not picking on you or making any other comment/assumptions about your current situation, just throwing some more thoughts in to the mix.

I seriously think that you should not limit your choices by what you perceive to be your current situation, but look to the best option then make a plan to make it possible. Your focus, therefore, should be how can I make it possible to get a new HV battery.

#105 dolj, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Petrodollar likes this.
  6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Do you really understand what a rebuilt hybrid battery IS.......that is, what is done during the rebuild process ??
    They replace only the completely failed cells. You still have a battery where 80-90% of it is still OLD.....maybe 10 years old or more.
    The odds of more of those old cells failing almost immediately is extremely high.
    It can result in a LOT of hassle.

7. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand and it's the same if I use a "used" battery from an older Prius.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is not the same

9. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The odds of failure would be the same right on a "used" battery assuming it came from another 2007 Prius?

Also, if I want to go DIY route, where is a good place to buy the cell modules?

10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For modules, Hybrid Automotive should be a good choice. They just recently started selling modules in addition to their battery conditioning systems. The owner, @jeff652 here is well respected.

Petrodollar and tampaite like this.
  11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Called few junkyards to see if they sell a recent hybrid battery. One of them had a 2005 battery with 110k miles on it and they are willing to ship it and they don't need core in return.

If I buy the battery, where can I sell my core? Will Toyota dealership buy it or someone else will? How much can I expect for a Core?

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This 2005 will be useless. It's 13 years old. You should look for something much newer. It won't cost much more at a wrecking yard

Petrodollar and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will continue checking. Where can I sell the core?

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Craigslist or eBay. The modules can be sold off individually, you'll get more money than selling the entire battery as a core

Petrodollar likes this.
  16. Philsgirl

Philsgirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I just went through all of this. I am in TN. I found Green bean on line and they give you a 5 yrs warranty. They come to you. It was $1549. They were willing to come to me in 4 hours. The tech was very nice and he had it done in 40 minutes. All lights are gone and car is ruining good.. Just not sure about my mpg yet. I just had it replaced Saturday afternoon.

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope it works out. There have been a couple of posts from members who have gone with GBB.

Pop back from time to time and post how your experience with them goes.

SFO likes this.
  18. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Check the link in my signature to see what I did with my 06 and how long it lasted, etc. Depends on your DIY skillz....

GOOD LUCK!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  19. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2/13 - Update. Replaced bad modules in the hybrid battery and reconditioned it. Car ran like it's never been new.

Sold the car 1k below book value and ofcourse, buyer got the full disclosure and 1 year warranty on the battery.

Bought a 2014 Prius FOUR. :D

#119 tampaite, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you mean Car ran like it's new or Car ran like it's never been broken? Sorry, not trying to be funny, just not familiar with that simile, so don't know what you really mean.
    Congratulations, I ho you get many years of enjoyable and trouble free motoring from it.