1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007' Prius clicking noise in front end/dash?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by voi9, Jun 26, 2007.

1. voi9

voi9 New Member

It started around 1200 mi. and I now have 2200 mi. on the 07' Prius.
    When I go over dips in the road or up and down driveways/sidewalk aprons I hear a click noise coming from the driver side where the windshield meets the dashboard. It also happens sometimes on initial take off from a dead stop.
    Seems like it happens when the suspension compresses and extends. I know the shock tower meets the body in this area so I'm thinking maybe something with the suspension.
    I took it to the dealer Friday and the mechanic said he put some extra padding in the dash area and near or on the shock tower but the problem was not fixed. Went thare this morning and they replaced the stabilizer bar. The clicking is still there but not as often.
    So, I am leaving the car with the dealer tommorrow and getting a loaner car until they figure out what it is.
    Anyone have any idea's?
    Any response appreciated.

2. voi9

voi9 New Member

WOW!!!! 66 views and not one person could reply! Even an "I don't know" would have been nice. This forum certainly is not like other car forums where other's will chime in with possible solutions. :(
    Anyway, the dealer just called and said they are ordering a new front strut assembly and it should be done tommorrow. Hope this helps someone else in the future if this problem occurs with their 07' Prius.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voi9 @ Jun 28 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]469532[/snapback]</div>
    The problem you describe is not a common problem, and the description is too vague to even take a stab at how to fix it, other than what you have done, which is to try and isolate the area and see what is clicking, but you knew that before posting. Sorry I can't help.

Tom

4. voi9

voi9 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jun 28 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]469548[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the reply! :)

5. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the funny thing the exact same thing happens to me, when i make turns or do hard acceleration.

i think its the driveshaft but then again im never sure about anything.

usually that clicking noise for you is probably just the frame moving a minute amount..

6. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voi9 @ Jun 26 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]468284[/snapback]</div>
    Sometimes people get bored at vehicle factories and they put something in an obscure place that will make noise just to annoy someone. OR it could actually be the strut.

defrankond likes this.
  7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D Rock @ Jun 28 2007, 07:12 PM) [snapback]469790[/snapback]</div>
    Sometimes, people don't have a clue as to what the problem is, so they just post a reply that could be annoying. Or, not.

8. wdutcher

wdutcher New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voi9 @ Jun 26 2007, 09:43 AM) [snapback]468284[/snapback]</div>
    What happened with the dealer?

I purchased a Camry Hybrid two weeks ago and have the same sort of issue - a clicking/ticking noise seemingly from both the lower corners of the windshield or further forward. It's been back at the dealer for three days without any real progress. They've done the work called out on TSB NV009-06, "Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise" without success. They say they've eliminated the struts as the source of the noise too.

9. voi9

voi9 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tch_0807 @ Aug 24 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]501735[/snapback]</div>
    You have a PM.
    The dealer sent out the Toyota factory Tech. and he diagnosed the problem as being a bad/faulty spot weld on the left front shock tower. I did not get a chance to speak with the Tech. before I picked up the car, but so far the noise is gone. Maybe they banged the heck out of it with a hammer or maybe they re-spot welded it. The repair slip/receipt did not say. Service Dept. just stated that it was fixed.

10. Bear68

Bear68 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D Rock @ Jun 28 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]469790[/snapback]</div>

Nahhh Prius are made ONLY in Japan.... They don't play those games... Heck, they save bottles to pee in so they don't have to ake unnecessary breaks.....

At least they do in the movies..... :p

11. wdutcher

wdutcher New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voi9 @ Aug 28 2007, 11:28 AM) [snapback]503253[/snapback]</div>
    I finally got my Camry back after seven full working days at the dealer - I only had the car for about ten days before taking it in. The good news is that noise seems to be completely gone. Here's what was listed on the report verbatim:

From this write-up and the way events/discussions occurred during this whole ordeal, it seems like the source of the noise was the struts. I tried to get more specifics out of the service "advocate," but he didn't seem to know much, replying vaguely that there "might have been more than one thing going on." Of course by this time I had treated him rudely, escalated to my sales guy, the customer service rep, the service department supervisor... anyone to try to get some action on the car. I'll try to refrain from whining about the painful details and just say that my impression is that the car sat with nothing being done for at least four of the seven days that they had it. It was an extremely frustrating week. All this aside, I'll give this service department credit for not treating the noise superficially, returning the car, and just hoping I'd give up.

Just in case someone else is experiencing "ticking/clicking" noises and searching for possible causes, I'll add the following detail. I suspected the struts when I dropped the car off. The service advocate kind of shrugged it off, but that was my guess after spending the first ten days with my brand new car listening to that damn ticking noise, driving over every kind of bump I could find to try and isolate it. It wasn't the "rattle/squeak" I'd expect from some loose trim and didn't seem to be coming from the interior to me. After reading all the posts about these types of noises, I thought that something like a bad weld in fender or some kind of flexing resulting in the ticking from the windshield clips was possible. However, I doubted it in this case because the correlation of the ticking to the suspension movement was extremely consistent and it seemed to be happening symmetrically on both sides of the car.

12. voi9

voi9 New Member

Glad it all worked out for you tch 0807. :D

13. drzlov

drzlov New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tch_0807 @ Aug 31 2007, 02:06 AM) [snapback]504767[/snapback]</div>
    I'm having a very similar experience with my TCH, but the ticking/clicking goes completely away when the outside temperature is below 70 degrees. Did your car do the same, say no noise in the morning and then it picked up after it's been parked in the sun? Would greatly appreciate your response, need to isolate the problem to educate my dealer who, of course, doesn't notice the problem or knows what to do about it.

14. Prius07Pkg4

Prius07Pkg4 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drzlov @ Oct 6 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]522294[/snapback]</div>

Problem solved for my car rattle noise (noise when MDF temperature is below 63 degree F).

See post #20 in this thread:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=33843&hl=

15. geoffwahl

geoffwahl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voi9 @ Jun 26 2007, 07:43 AM) [snapback]468284[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting you bring this up. I have an 06 Prius with the same thing--I thought it was a problem with the windshield hitting the dashboard--it does not happen all the time, so the time I brought it in the dealer didn't hear it. I will ask them about the front strut asembly as they did put in extra sound proofing and this did not cure the problem. Thanks for the tip.

16. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2007 prius and just noticed this as well. started to drive to minneapolis on saturday and didnt hear anything till about halfway through my trip i started to hear a squeak coming from the dashboard area but no matter where i push on the dash or the reflector panel nothing takes care of the squeak. it sounds like dry rubber on glass type of squeak but you can only hear the squeak at highway speeds. at in town speeds its more of a clicking sound. it is driving me absolutly mad and i cannot drive with the radio at level 40 all the time just to drown out the sound. i noticed that the sound started as soon as it got colder out it didnt do it all summer or fall but seems once temp fell below 40 is when it started to do it. i havent taken it to the dealership because i cannot afford to sadly. has anyone else had any luck isolating this so i can attempt the repair myself? at shop prices of 98.00 a hour that is a bit absurd in my opinion.