1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius code P0A0F, won't start after oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Grapefruitspoon, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Grapefruitspoon

Grapefruitspoon New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this.
    2007 base model with about 170k miles.
    I got an oil change, then while driving away, about 2 minutes later, a warning beep started, the engine stopped, and the car went into limp home mode. I got off the highway and drove for another 2 minutes to get off the road and the car stopped running completely as I ran out of battery.
    Ultimately, I got it towed to a nearby dealership, and was told that they think it's the hybrid battery needing to be changed. The codes they gave me are P0A0F, P3000, and P0A80.
    I'm reading that the first code is failure of the gas engine to start, which often results in hybrid battery codes being thrown too without the battery being the main issue. I don't want to replace the battery if it won't fix things. Why would P0A0F show off it were just a problem with the hybrid battery?
    I've previously had a camshaft sensor code that went away on its own. Could this be related?
    Any advice?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All of the codes you're showing come from the HV ECU, which is kind of the orchestra conductor for the car, or the battery ECU.

You're not showing any codes from the ECM, which is directly responsible for the engine.

The P0A0F is the HV ECU code for "I don't know what's going on with the engine, but it didn't come in on cue."

Normally, there will be some more specific code(s) in the ECM explaining why the engine didn't start. So I am suspicious a little of your scan tool not showing you any of those.

3. Grapefruitspoon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for explaining!
    That's all the information I have from the Toyota dealership it got towed to, unfortunately. I'll try to find out if they found more codes. If not, are these codes I should see on a regular ODB reader, or is a specific more specialized one needed?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tech stream is the toyota reader, and the gold standard. did you run out of gas?

they might have gotten the battery code because you drove it until you couldn't. it might just need a recharge, or it could have a damaged module from running it too low.

if you paid the dealership, those are your sub codes.

5. Grapefruitspoon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Follow up: I got it towed back home, managed to take out the mass airflow sensor, shook out a bit of dust or dirt that had gotten in, sprayed it with mass airflow sensor cleaner from a few angles, let it dry, and put it back in. The engine started, I cleared the codes, drove it a bit to charge the battery, and it has been working ok since then.

drone13 and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!

7. drone13

drone13 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most oil change places remove the top of the air box to check the air filter so they can sell you one. It's not unlikely that when they removed the filter (usually they like to show it to the customer to sell a new one) that they got some debris in the bottom of the air box and that got sucked into the MAF. I would pull the air filter and check that the lower part of the box to make sure it's clean now so this doesn't occur again. I don't know this is what happened, but the scenario closely matches the issue you had. Seems too much of a coincidence that you had an oil change and this popped up out of nowhere, but who knows.