1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius - Code U0293 during smog

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AmericanIdiot, Apr 6, 2022.

1. AmericanIdiot

AmericanIdiot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 Prius with ~175k miles.

I'm got a U0293 during a smog check 3 weeks ago. Since the code popped up, I failed the smog check. I cleared the code and drove for the past 3 weeks and everything has been fine. I had enough drive cycles that my OBDLink scanner said that it was ready for emissions testing.

When I went to get smog checked again, it threw up U0293 again. This only seems to happen when hooking up a smog check machine to the OBD.

It passed smog back in 2020 without any problems and the only repair I've had done is the instrument cluster because of the bad capacitor.

I've looked at other threads and what I've already done:
    1. 12V battery - Replaced 2021-May with OEM battery, connected to CTek MXS 5.0 when not in use
    2. HEV and AM2 fuses - both fuses are in good condition, voltage across them is around 12.6V
    I've attached the OBDLink report to look at the monitors, codes, sensors, etc.

It seems like the next thing to do is check the wiring harness and/or ECU? Are there instructions on how to do either of these procedures? Any other things I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very strange.
    Did you try a different smog shop?
    I know that the in California there are at least two different types of data link adapters to get data for the smog equipment. Maybe find out what data link the one shop was using and go to another shop with a different type.
    The code that you have is lost communication with the HV computer. Maybe you have a bad computer in the battery. (This is the location of the HV computer) Or your computer has corrosion very common on Gen 2.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or there could be nothing at all wrong with the car. It could be that the testing station's smog check machine is causing the Uxxxx code by failing to communicate correctly. There have been more than a few posts in the past where (cheap) devices (i. e. BlueTooth OBDII readers) that were the cause of the communication errors.

As mentioned above try another checking facility.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    See my posting in an older thread about a very similar symptom, which turned out to be a problem in the DLC3 (OBD II) connector itself.
    The trouble could be anywhere on the CAN bus, but the report says DTC U0293, Lost Communication with HV ECU, was stored by ECU 7E0, the engine control module (ECM), not by the battery ECU.
    The HV ECU is in the instrument panel, next to the ECM; the battery ECU is in the back with the HV battery.

5. AmericanIdiot

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't try a second shop yet. I went back to the original shop since it was a "free re-check if you failed" situation. The first time I went there, they used the desktop computer to perform the smog check and it threw the U0293 code. This time when I went back there, they used one of the handheld devices and it also threw the U0293 code. So same shop, but two different devices. I can try a third shop and see what happens. Since the engine is not ready to for emissions testing due to the MIL/DTC will running a scan so soon even get to the point where it will trigger the code or will it just read that the emissions testing isn't ready?

Yeah I have an OBDLink LX but I've had it for many years now. I saw some threads about manually setting the communication protocol rather than having it automatically choose, but I don't think this would be the problem since I've had the OBDLink LX since 2015.

Yeah, I saw that thread. I can definitely check the DLC3 connector but don't have the valid voltage and resistance ranges. I think I remember reading a post from Patrick (?) that the ECUs and relays usually don't go bad and that this is usually an issue of things like accidents and the wiring harness gets jarred loose? Could this have happened when the instrument panel was repaired since it involves ripping apart the dash?

Thanks for all the help.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It probably isn't so important to wonder what might have cause your situation rather than to just start physically checking things to see if you can find where the problem actually is.

AmericanIdiot likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It doesn't seem like your car is broken in terms of functionality... But there's a connection issue during testing that is failing: "Lost Communication with Hybrid Vehicle Control System." Perhaps a different inspection service and disconnecting & reconnecting 12v when you arrive could help? Either that or borrow a Prius owning friend's ECU to pass inspection?

8. AmericanIdiot

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After the car throws the code, it seems to drive only on electricity. After I park it and just power cycle it several times, all the lights (MIL, Triangle, etc) all turn off. It's definitely not a functional issue that I'm having. It seems like the smog tester is tickling something that normal doesn't get poked.

I'll try a different inspection service tomorrow probably.

As I understand it, disconnecting the 12V will clear a bunch of stuff in the computer and my car won't be ready for the emissions test anymore. Is that right? As for borrowing an ECU, would it be easier just to buy one and replace it. Assuming that the replacement works, then I would only have to dismantle the dash once instead of twice?

9. 2010moneypit?

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like you have already tried two different “tools” to pull codes. I do have a question. You are saying the car throws a code every time they hook up to it. Before you get to the shop you have no light on the dash? After they hook up to the car the lights are on ( check engine and or check hybrid system)
    Yes once you disconnect the 12 volt battery the monitors will have to be reset before you pass smog.

10. AmericanIdiot

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, that's right - no codes/lights before the test and the bam lights when the test is initiated. Here are screenshots from OBDLink and Torque Pro right before the second test. This is how I knew the I determined I could go and get re-tested since it says I was emissions test ready.

Attached Files:

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is 7E0 for sure the address of the ECM? I don't have them memorized, so I don't know; just asking.

I'm unsure because the OBDLink report seems to be reporting two rows of DTC information. Both are U0293, one is confirmed and one is historical, but one identifies the reporting ECU as "Engine and Electronic Controlled Transmission" and the other as "7E0".

If those are the same ECU, I'm not sure why OBDLink would identify it by name in the Historical row, but only by raw address in the Confirmed row.

It reminds me of this post, where a different app (Car Scanner) used the name for one reporting ECU when it knew the standard mapping for that address (Entry & Start/Smart key in that case), but reported just the raw address for an unfamiliar ECU (7EA in that case, which in that Gen 3 turned out to be the Power Management Control ECU).

I also seem to recall that the low bits of an address may carry some other meaning, so for example 7E0 and 7E8 may be the same ECU depending on whether the message is a query or response, but I've gone all fuzzy on the details.

12. AmericanIdiot

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That might just be an artifact when I created the report, I told the software to pull both confirmed and historical codes trying to get as much information as possible.

Also, you all are like encyclopedias of knowledge - remembering threads from years ago - I'm in awe and super appreciate all the help.

PriusCamper likes this.
  13. 2010moneypit?

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am at a loss!?? Sorry, hopefully someone else can chime in.

AmericanIdiot likes this.
  14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When dash lights come on and the error codes are logged the majority of the hybrid error codes will throw the hybrid into a safe mode where you often get engine only and no hybrid system, yet your description sounds like the opposite? I'd think that'd point to engine problems?

As for the 12v, disconnecting it is the similar to rebooting your personal computer and that reset will mean the car has amnesia and has to find all the settings and existing problems again.

Maybe if you called around and found a smog inspection business with lots of experience with this particular problem? Or maybe the smog service you went to is the source of the problem?

#14 PriusCamper, Apr 7, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  15. AmericanIdiot

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it was super weird. So I'll detail the things I remember.

1. Start car in the morning
    2. Verify that the MIL is off and that it is ready for emissions testing via OBDLink app and Torque app
    3. Drive to smog check place - everything is normal.
    4. Smog check place hooks up their equipment and starts test.
    5. Throws MIL, triangle, all the red lights (ABS, VSC, etc), all the gears are lit up also (P, D, B, N)
    6. Pull DTCs --- attached image below.
    7. Power off car and restart.
    8. Drives only on electric mode.
    9. Park and power cycle car several times (don't remember how many, maybe 3?)
    10. MIL is on, MFD has exclamation mark (?), car drives fine home.
    11. Check HV fuse (20A) and AM2 fuse (15A).
    12. Eventually all the lights go off and the car continues to drive fine. Stil no lights as of this morning, but I haven't driven it anywhere yet.
    So I've been playing with my mini-VCI cable and Techstream. I did a BUS check and it comes back working. I also pulled the DTCs for the communication system. I also ran a health check. The images are included below.

It's confusing because the techstream CANBUS check doesn't come back with anything as being wrong until the smog check happens. Super werid.

Attached Files:

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I once built a little box with some switches and a DLC3 plug, so I could carry it in my glove box, and plug in at the diagnostic port and use the switches for procedures involving the Tc and Ts pins:

[​IMG]

It worked great at first, but after it was several years old, that changed. I would then get a rash of communication errors logged right away upon plugging it in (before even twiddling any switches!). That experience was recounted in this thread.

When I built it, I used a cheap DLC3 plug, whose pins were not plated to resist oxidation. After so many year, those pins reached the point where the simple act of plugging it in to the diagnostic port would turn the various ECUs' messages into gibberish.

As followed up in that same thread, I rebuilt my twiddler thing using a better-quality DLC3 plug with gold plating on the pins, and that version has been rock solid. I can even plug that one in and out while the car is on, and nothing reports a communication glitch.

So I wonder if the smog-check place is maybe using an old deteriorated cable and plug.

It could also be possible you have one or more sockets in your car's DLC3 connector with weak spring force. I think that's also been reported here once or twice.

17. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I keep thinking the problem here is the smog inspector equipment and the only problem you have is you have to go to a different place and then if that works take your paper work back to the old place and demand a refund for using faulty testing equipment on your car. They'll be quick to give you your money back if you show an interest in reporting their equipment to the state.

18. AmericanIdiot

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Problem solved -- as everyone suggested and I got around to doing today, I went to a different shop and it passed. Then I drove back to the old shop and got a refund.

Thanks for all your help!

2010moneypit? and PriusCamper like this.
  19. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes. The report gives the “Calibration ID – $7E0” as 34710000, which is listed in Toyota service bulletin T-SB-0088-08 (attached here) as a “previous calibration ID” for ECMs on model year 2006–2007 Prius cars. Using 0x7E0/0x7E8 as the CAN identifiers for the ECM is also strongly recommended in ISO 15765-4:2005, Road vehicles—Diagnostics on Controller Area Networks (CAN)—Part 4: Requirements for emissions-related systems, incorporated at 40 CFR § 86.1806 05(h).
    Exactly: the ISO standard only recommends that ECU #1 should be the ECM, but it does assign 0x7E0 as the 11-bit CAN identifier for requests from external test equipment to ECU #1, and 0x7E8 for responses from ECU#1 to external test equipment.
    Perhaps the confirmed DTCs are being read using service $03 (as defined in SAE J1979 or ISO 15031-5:2006) but the historical DTCs are being read in some other way that allows greater confidence in the identification of the source ECU.