1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius - Codes C1515, C1203, C1345 & C1354

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BadLuck, Jan 25, 2021.

1. BadLuck

BadLuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I just picked up my first Prius from a neighbor who had taken the car to an independent shop for brake troubles. The shop told her that the car needed a new brake accumulator. She paid them over $2,000 to put one in, the brakes still did not function as expected. The shop then said the car needed a new skid control ECU to the tune of another $1,700. She did not have them install a new skid control ECU and decided to cut her losses and sell the car as is.

After buying the car, I picked it up from the shop. While there, I talked to the mechanic who had worked on the car. I asked him what codes were present, and he just said whatever ones say it needs a new skid control ECU... not very helpful or confidence inspiring. The car has 150K, a two year old hybrid battery and is in great shape with the exception of the brake and steering issues, so I'd like to bring it back to life.

I bought a mini-VCI off eBay and installed techstream to pull the codes. The dash is lit up like Christmas, but there were only 4 codes:

C1515 - Torque Sensor Zero Point Adjustment Undone (steering related I assume as the car's power steering is not working at all, PO said the steering was fine when it went into the shop)

C1203 - Engine Control System Communication Circuit
    C1345 - Not Learning Linear Valve Offset
    C1354 - Increasing Pressure Solenoid (RR)

From reading up on C1515, it looks like this can be fixed by resetting the zero of the torque sensor. The other three are definitely brake related.

Outside of the drive home from the shop, I've only driven the car around the neighborhood to test. The brakes are definitely wonky. The only brakes that seem to be working are the driver's side brakes. The car pulls left, and after multiple stops, the drivers front and rear brakes are warm to the touch, but the passenger side brakes are completely cold.

I do all my own work on my cars and have done pretty much everything from oil changes to full engine replacements and pretty much everything in between, but this is my first time digging into a Prius. From what I gather, the brake pedal is actually just connected to a stroke simulator and the ECU controls the pressure applied to each caliper. I've read the brake bleeding procedure in the manual and watched a few videos of the process using techstream. My thought is to first re-bleed the brake system using techstream before I start swapping parts. Am I headed down the right path or do the codes indicate that I need a new skid control ECU like the shop said? Any help is appreciated.

2. BadLuck

BadLuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE: I was able to clear the C1203 and the C1515 codes. The only codes remaining are:

C1345 - Not Learning Linear Valve Offset
    C1354 - Increasing Pressure Solenoid (RR)

I've replaced the skid control ECU with a known good unit and the codes still persist. I spoke with the shop that installed the accumulator. They have installed three different accumulators in the car, one was a new aftermarket, two were new Toyota units. If the ECU is good and the accumulator is good, what are my next steps? Only possibilities at this point are wiring? Or is there something else to check. Also, the 12V battery is new as of November 2020 and is fully charged, so its not that.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, the shop that installed THREE brake actuator assemblies apparently didn't do any diagnostics. They looked at the code, said it "must the actuator, it's always the actuator", and replaced it..when it still had a problem, "must be a bad part"... repeat ad nauseum. Then "Oh, it must be the ecu". Sigh
    What you should do is first check the ABS (skid control) ecu codes again with Techstream- see if there is freezeframe data for the C1354 (a snowflake symbol next to the code)- that icon should let you see the INF (detail) sub code that will tell you more about the exact fault the ecu detected. AFAIK the linear valve can't be learned (done via Techstream) until the solenoid circuit fault is repaired.

The SLARR (RR solenoid circuit) should have been tested at the ABS (skid control) ecu connector (please do not jam anything into the connector female terminals, this will damage the terminals and create more problems.Use T-pins to backprobe from the wire side of the connector or hold the pins against the terminals- clumsy to do but possible) - ecu unplugged- for proper solenoid resistance (3.5-4.3 ohms), no continuity to ground or to power (with ignition on- Ready). If it tests bad then repeat at the actuator itself, if it still tests bad THEN replace the actuator. If it's bad at the ecu connector but good at the actuator, find and repair the wiring fault. If everything else tests ok THEN replace the ecu (but I would likely first perform some kind of functional test by momentarily powering up the solenoid to prove it can work).

Short form- get a wiring diagram and find the wiring fault.

Attached Files:

#3 mr_guy_mann, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  4. BadLuck

BadLuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I've ordered a set of back probe adapters for my multimeter from Amazon and will test once they arrive. I found a copy of the wiring diagram for the car and will start with the ECU side (S10 connector, pins 9 SLARR- and 19 SLARR+). Looks to be pins 11 & 12 on the actuator side of things. Purple and pink wires. There was not any INF detail available on Techstream (the snowflake was grayed out). I'm using an earlier version, so may need to upgrade.

5. BadLuck

BadLuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The back probe kit arrived last night, so I was able to test this morning. Verified that there is no break in the wiring harness. Both the positive and negative SLARR wires were under 1Ω from the connector at the ECU to the connector at the actuator. No short to ground for either wire either (open connection).

When you say that the proper Solenoid resistance should be 3.5-4.3 Ω (couldn't find this number in the manual to verify I was checking the correct way), you are talking about the resistance between the SLARR positive and negative wires themselves? If so, I get an open reading when testing at both the ECU connector and the actuator connector? Maybe I'm not doing it right? For this test, the ECU should be unplugged but the car in On-Ready?

Thanks again for your help!

6. BadLuck

BadLuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, upgraded my Techstream to version 15.00.026 and still am not seeing any INF (snowflake) data available? I did pull the data list and the SLARR circuit is showing 0.00 while the other circuits are showing 0.49 to 0.52 when I press the brake.

7. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, those two circuits. For a resistance test, leave everything turned off and the ecu disconnected. Try testing all the circuit pairs for the other solenoids. I find it hard to believe that the new, OE (third one installed) actuator is bad? Make sure that your back probe pins have actually made contact with the circuit (I like to have one DVOM lead on the back probe pin, then use the other lead with another pin and gently touch it to the female terminal - should have less than 1 ohm - if so then good to continue testing). abs diag1.jpg abs diag2.jpg abs diag3.jpg
    It's not surprising that the RR pressure stays at 0, since the problem is with the apply solenoid for that corner.

8. BadLuck

BadLuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I think we solved it, thank you for your help!!! I believe the SLARR+ wire has a break somewhere within the harness. I went back through all the tests with the multimeter and was able to get a reading of 4.1 Ω on the SLARR circuit at the actuator, but not the ECU. All other SLA circuits had readings at both the actuator and ECU, which again pointed to a wiring issue. I re-tested both SLARR wires for continuity and both were initially reading less than 1 ohm. I left the multimeter connected for a much longer time on each wire and noticed that the SLARR+ (purple wire) would fluctuate wildly from time to time and then go back to less than one ohm. The SLARR- (pink wire) never fluctuated at all, leading me to believe there was a break somewhere inside the harness that would intermittently disconnect. I decided to test the car with Techstream using the back probes on the ECU and Actuator as a jumper cable for the SLARR+ wire and confirmed that the C1354 code was gone!

Now the question is, do I order an entire harness and tear the car apart, or just re-run the single offending wire with some posi-taps...

Thank you again for your help!

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Replacing the entire harness may be the cost-is-no-object option (I think you're looking at this one, or this one if you have HID headlights). Many dealers will sell at a discount from that price; in a brief search I found at least one dealer willing to knock off nearly $1300.

It might be possible to get one from a recycled vehicle, but very often recyclers will sell other parts with some of the chopped-off harness connection included, so it is harder to find an intact harness.

Repairing the broken wire may be more practical. I might be inclined to use Toyota's recommended repair methods, including parallel-crimp sleeves and sealant-lined heat shrink tubing, or silicone tape. I'm not familiar with the posi-taps, though they look interesting.

I would be curious to find where and why the violet wire is broken, and check whether there is any other harness damage nearby that could be putting other circuits at risk in the foreseeable future. Unless the break location is already obvious, that kind of tracing may be a lot easier with the harness out of the car ... of course that's as much labor as replacing it with new, but minus the price of the new harness. It can give you much better visibility into what the damage was and more confidence in the repair.

If you definitely locate the break on one side or the other of the firewall grommet, you can make the whole repair there and won't have to finagle your added wire through the grommet.

10. BadLuck

BadLuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That you for all you help, repair is done. Did some more testing once I pulled the plug off the actuator. Ended up.that one of the female connections in the plug was not connecting. When I was back a proving it would occasionally create a connection. After bending the female connector back to normal, the connection is perfect and the codes are gone.

SFO likes this.
  11. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great- glad you got it fixed. Shame that the previous shop couldn't find the problem.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.