1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Control Arms replaced - cannot get alignment into spec range shop says

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mainestreamrob, Mar 16, 2023.

1. mainestreamrob

mainestreamrob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I had my control arms replaced by someone on Craigslist and I bought these specific ones for my Prius off rock auto Suspensia X50CJ4148 / Suspensia X50CJ4149 and they were installed recently so I had an alignment done and the shop said they couldn’t get the measurements into spec range and to reach out to rock auto and have the correct control arms replaced so they can correct the alignment. What would you guys recommend I do? I paid $400 for the incorrect ones to be installed.

#1 mainestreamrob, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I haven't looked at the parts breakdown so is there different control arms for the early generation 2 versus the later? I am not sure I mean what arms were you sent do you have one of your old ones so you can measure from bolt to fitment point to see if one's longer than the other what in the alignment can't they bring into spec to something got to pull in or go out imagining it's possibly caster You should have a sheet that's all in red from the alignment machine?

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can tell you with 100% certainty that Rock Auto suspension parts suck. Chinese crap. There really cheap for a reason..... you get what you pay for and that's a sloppy control arm that will probably start clunking in a few miles.

The oem arm is $180 each plus shipping. Olathe Toyota parts online. On Rock control arm quality choices range from $23 to $77 each depending on if you want it to be kinda close or just ridiculous junk. Which did you chose?

Btw, what's wrong with the arms is it clunking over bumps?

This is a Toyota they do not like after market parts.

After market parts 20-25 years ago were not too bad but now its all horrible Chinese junk. Useless. I would not be surprised if Rock Auto says keep the arms throw them out when you ask for a refund.

4. mainestreamrob

mainestreamrob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The noise was from my coolant reserve tank thing near the drivers side wheel (forgot the name). A bolt in the bracket came out so it was rubbing on the wheel well thing. Control arms have been fine and I understand what you’re saying thanks for the info

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah it's too easy to buy control arms and dry axles and all that off other cars just sitting there everywhere LKQ private junk yards towing lots towing lots are a boon to find these things they get towed off the street and people just choke and they're sitting there and the owner of the towing company generally if he's had it for 20 days or 28 days or something like that I've bought complete cars from towing lots with and or without paperwork I don't care about paperwork I can get that in my state real easy just sign my name possession is 9/10 of the law all of that if there's no claim on the books no one looking for the VIN I get a title really it's that simple.

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It went from being out of alignment spec to a noise, or are you still driving the vehicle "as is" and out of the measurement specification?