1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius - Door Won't Stay Open and Cat Converter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jaydub624, Aug 17, 2009.

1. jaydub624

jaydub624 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently purchased a 2007 Prius, but the reason why I got it for such a great price (around $9K) was because it has high miles - about 150K. I am now realizing that there may be a few more issues that I need to take care of.

For example, several of my doors won't stay open when I'm parked on a hill. It appears as though the "catch" that helps to keep the door open is damaged. Does anyone have experience with this? What is the part called? Any cost estimate to repair?

Also, I think I need a new cat converter. What is the cost estimate on this repair?

Thanks in advance!

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The door catches on the Prius aren't the strongest. Unless the door is actually able to easily flop around while open, it sounds normal

How do you know you need a catalytic converter? Do you have a Check Engine Light, and is that the code retrieved?

3. jaydub624

jaydub624 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'll have to compare my doors with another Prius, but they don't seem to have much resistance at all at the regular intervals.

As to the cat converter issue, I have the check engine light on and the previous owner took it to the dealer and apparently was told that the cat converter needed to be replaced. This happened just a day before I bought the car so he cut me a deal.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depending upon the DTC logged, it is possible that if you replace the air/fuel ratio sensor upstream of the catalytic converter, that will take care of the problem.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, provide details of the DTC's. An O2 sensor is cheaper than a catalytic converter. Though if I had to replace the cat, I'd also replace the O2 sensor at the same time