1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Error: P0ac0 and P0afa

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Sam Muel-Jackson, Nov 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Sam Muel-Jackson

Sam Muel-Jackson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Car was perfectly fine. Parked it in a parking spot, turned it off for a minute, started it back up, and BAM, Master Indicator Light is illuminated(not blinking), along with check engine light. (yellow, not blinking)

Code reader gives me these two codes: P0ac0 and P0afa

Tried to drive it, but it was like it didn't know whether it was going to use electric or gasoline engine, and just went from 0 to 10 mph then the engine cut out, dropped back to 2mph, then it started going again to 10 mph, etc.. repeat this, each cycle lasting about 2 seconds.

After this, the car was parked overnight. Came back the next day to check the vin and make sure it was okay. Started it up noticed the battery had only 1 "bar" on the info screen.... and it seemed to drive okay?

I think maybe the thing that swaps between gas/electric (kind of like a thermostat) is bad, and now somehow the battery is dead so it is using gasoline and running properly (or as proper as it can)?

Either way, didn't drive the car, going to tow it to a dealer. But I was hoping there is a simple solution to this or some other troubleshooting steps I can take.

I cannot find the repair/service manual for this car. I'm an aerospace engineer and would have no trouble doing some light work, even electrical (with a manual). I have a lot of experience with more conventional cars, but hybrids are not something I am familiar with.

Any ideas?

-Thanks guys

2. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Those are not Prius specific codes. You need a scanner like ScanGauge or VCI to retrieve the correct codes. Many posts can be found on this forum, if you search. One thing that I can recommend is you start the vehicle and check the inverter coolant tank for turbulence. If none, you have a failed inverter pump...

3. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would first check the status of the 12 volt battery.
    If these codes pop up again they suggest you might have a problem with the high voltage traction battery. If your battery is indeed bad and you would like to know more about traction battery repair and diagnostics search these forums for some great information.

#3 IMkenNY, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015