1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Gen 2 loosing coolant

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tunis DeVries, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Tunis DeVries

Tunis DeVries New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have a 2007 Prius Gen 2....she started losing lots of fluid through the overflow tank. No water seems to be getting into the oil or into the pistons. It all leaks from the overflow tank hose.

We are the original owners and she has done us proud...Over 300,000 miles

I've changed the radiator cap, thermostat, water pump and coolant control valve. Dealer tested the system with no pressure decay, they flushed and replaced all coolant in the system so we have no air in either the radiator nor the inverter. I am getting no codes other than the red triangle along with an overheat light once in a while. I am at a loss with what to do next or what it could be.

Thank you for any help and ideas.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you open the radiator cap, not the reservoir, you may find that it's not full of coolant. While you're checking fluids, you should check your oil level too

3. Tunis DeVries

Tunis DeVries New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, I keep tabs on the oil regularly as she does burn it. We had all the system flushed and topped yesterday and still the same issue.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So while you're driving, the triangle pops on for 2 seconds and turns off?

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rare to hear repetitive overheats as usually one good one will sometimes damage the engine
    By warping th head and blown head gasket.
    The fact that you lost a lot of coolant tells me that initial overheat was a bad one.

You never mentioned what code is the triangle throwing? And just because the dealer did all that work is no guarantee the air is out. Seen many dealers incapable of doing that right on this site.

Turn the heat on and drive for a while and see if you hear water gurgling noises under the dash.
    Air trapped in system is main reason for over heat.

Buy an Xgauge and you will be able to monitor engine temp as you drive around. Can’t imagine chasing this issue without one.

#5 edthefox5, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.