1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Headlight Issue now Radio won't power on

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by happypriusdriver, Aug 27, 2013.

1. happypriusdriver

happypriusdriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right headlight went out after being stopped by police officer. I see this is a common issue.
    Had Phoenix AZ Toyota dealership replace the "fancy" headlight for $300!!!

Left the next day to move to North Dakota.
    In Colorado the next evening the LEFT headlight went out! Urrgghh. Switched off and then back on and sometimes it works; sometimes not. Haven't had that fixed yet.

Now, 2 weeks after getting to North Dakota, I went to turn the Audio (Radio on), and when I tap the Power On button, it won't turn on! After reading all the issues Prius owners have had, I'm fearing in this little town I'm now living, the local Toyota may sell me a bill of goods to get a fix for both the headlight issue and now the Radio Power not functioning.

Is there a simple fix to get the radio to turn back on? It happened once before about 2 years ago, but I don't recall the sequence of how I turned the car Power Button on/off to get it to "reset", or if it was just dumb luck on my part.

Anyone know how to remedy? Suggestions?
    Car has 83,000 miles and has had no problems till the headlight issues started up this past few months. Thanks

2. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Have you tried pulling the fuses ?
    Even if they are ok , taking them out and replacing them disturbs the connection and sometimes makes it good again.
    Also check the earth connections on the body for corrosion.

3. happypriusdriver

happypriusdriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll try the fuses. Thank you for your suggestion.
    What are "earth connections on the body"?
    Once I find them, do I simply wipe off the corrosion?
    Again, thanks for your time

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    "Earth" is one of those oddball brit expressions meant to denote "ground".

5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Earth = Ground or negative (-) connection (usually black wires on modern cars), connected to the bodywork or engine or both. If the connection is slightly corroded it needs unfastening, cleaning and re-attaching. Sometimes just loosening and re-tightening it solves the problem. Having said all this, I can't see any ground connections under the bonnet of SWMBO's Gen2.