1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius headlights keep going out....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cropslx, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Cropslx

Cropslx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a new member and sorry if I am beating a dead horse :) I have a 2007 Prius with regular (non HID) headlights. I have probably replaced them 10 times since I bought the car new. I have read where other people have had the same issues and read how to change the bulbs myself.

Has it been determine what the fix is so they don't keep burning out? Thanks in advance for your help!!

2. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just a couple of quick questions - have you been using the SAME replacement bulbs for each replacement or have you tried different brands/quality of bulbs? Also, have you checked the bulb socket to make sure it makes a good solid connection to the bulb base?

3. Cropslx

Cropslx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The brand that is in my local auto shops is Slyvania (?) I have tried the cheap ones and the expensive ones (of the same brand). I was maybe going to try and order something different next time off the internet. Any suggestions on a brand?

How can you ensure the bulb sock is making a good solid connection. Sorry for the dumb questions :(

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Short halogen headlight life is usually due to one of:

• High voltage - check that the charging voltage (in READY mode) is not much above 14 volts
    • Water leaking into the housing - you will need to replace the housing, get a good salvaged unit to save money.
    • Touching the lamp when installing it - The oils from skin causes over heating of the bulb
    • Using high output lamps - known to have a short life Sylvania Silverstar
    I have only replaced the headlights in my 2004 once since they had lower output when 7 years old.

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  5. Cropslx

Cropslx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is a brand that you would recommend? I used the Sylvania $45 (platinum) lights and they didn't last long at all. Thanks for the help!!

6. Cropslx

Cropslx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    • High voltage - check that the charging voltage (in READY mode) is not much above 14 volts
    How can I check this?
    • Water leaking into the housing - you will need to replace the housing, get a good salvaged unit to save money.
    No signs of leaking...no water in lights or condensation.
    • Touching the lamp when installing it - The oils from skin causes over heating of the bulb
    I am very careful not to do this.
    • Using high output lamps - known to have a short life Sylvania Silverstar
    What is a brand that is NOT a high output lamp?

7. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suggest that you use the same bulbs (OEM) that originally came on the car.

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    see: Checking 12v Battery Health - Hybrid Car Forums
    Read the packaging, there is usually a statement on expected bulb life and ouput level.

JeffD

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Wow 10 times? Its a flat out nightmare to get these bulbs in & out without removing the bumper and headlight assy.
    I just did mine and my hands are tore up. You must have very small hands.

If you look at the bulb connector with the 3 wires you'll see how burned up and melted it is. That causes intermittent connections so your probably not losing bulbs you just exercising the connector when you replace the bulbs. Check the bulbs with an ohmmeter next time. One tab on the bulb is the common the other 2 are low and high beam.

The connectors themselves need to be replaced. Which is a whole other nightmare.