1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius HID headlight problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lagreca, Feb 24, 2016.

1. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

I have a 2007 Prius with HID lights. A few months ago the drivers side headlight would randomly go out. If I turned the lights off, then immediately back on, sometimes I could get the light to turn back on. Recently the passenger light started doing this as well.

I'm wondering if the bulbs are going bad, or is the ballast going bad? Is there an easy way to check?

Thanks!

2. red07gen2

red07gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    dont know the answer. but i am in the same boat \.
    ordered a set of hid bulbs, hoping that will solve the problem .

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are many threads re. HID bulbs, here on PriusChat, and the general consensus is avoid the cheapies made in China (usually found on eBay or the InterNet - and go with a reputable source (e.g. Philips or Sylvania) - hope this helps - Wil

dgalbrec likes this.
  4. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

Wil, thanks for your input. But what I really need to know is the symptoms I'm having, where the lights go out, and simply turning them off and on again gets them to work, is the bulb or the ballast?

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would suggest you use the "search" function - I think that's what I would do - good luck!

6. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

Wil, once again your response is not at all helpful...

I have searched, not only this board, but the internet, and not been able to find an answer. I've seen plenty of people replacing either component or both as a solution.

But I'd like to know which component needs to be replaced, so I don't spend unnecessary time and money. Or some steps to figure out how to test them to determine what is wrong.

7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I'm so sorry that my response didn't satisfy your need for an instant answer, but when I experienced exactly the same problem as you seem to be having, I was able to find an answer which solved my problem by using the "search" feature… …and doing lots of reading! (…damn! sorry, I'm repeating myself, so I'll shut up!) Good luck! ;)

8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Feel free to call me.
    It'll cut down on the search a bit.
    But basically it's a known issue with the Prius.

Several ways to tackle it.
    None of them cheap.

lagreca likes this.
  9. kkeane

kkeane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My money is on the HID bulb. There's no guarantee, but between the age of the car, the failure mode of HID bulbs matching exactly what you describe, and both bulbs doing it, but the problem not starting at the same time, I'd give it at least a 75% chance. My first HID bulb died with exactly your symptoms around 250,000 miles, the other one six months later.

The only way I know of to test this to be sure this is to try replacing the bulbs. If new bulbs also do it, then it must be the ballast. But it would surprise me.

The bulbs aren't cheap, but also not outrageously expensive - around $90 each; I bought mine at O'Reilly, but most auto parts stores have them. You can replace them yourself. How much longer do you plan to keep the car? That should also be a factor in deciding whether you get brand name bulbs, cheap ones, or simply replace the car now. Shortly after I replaced my bulbs, my Prius started developing a lot of age-related problems. The next big expense is likely going to be the cat, a $2000 repair in California (in other states, you may be able to use cheaper aftermarket cats). Also, your engine may wear out, as well as some other components.

One hint: for replacing the HID bulbs, follow the actual Toyota instructions that have you take off the bumper first to get to the headlight assembly to access the assembly from the front. There's a reason the engineers came up with those instructions.

You will find quite a few instructions on the Internet about an "easier" way to do it by taking out some components on the top and getting to the lights from behind. Don't. Do. It.

I tried both approaches.

These Internet-based instructions *seem* easier because they resemble how you change headlight bulbs on most cars, but you will be contorting your hands while trying to undo a cover that is very hard to take off. You may end up having to use a tool to take the cover off, and then break it in the process.

Taking off the bumper sounds more complicated than it is. It's actually only a few screws and takes maybe ten minutes tops, but it will allow you to take out the headlight assembly and work on it very comfortably; you can even disconnect the assembly completely and work on it on a workbench. And because you would be replacing both bulbs, you are saving yourself twice the contortion, and have to take off the bumper only once.

Another tip: my car guy warned me to be careful about *which* wires in the harness you disconnect, because the airbag sensor is in that same region. You may want to disconnect the 12V battery just to be safe, especially if you plan to take the assembly out and work on it elsewhere.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's MUCH cheaper than it used to be - due to folks like the ones at Luscious garage - cutting the headlight change out time (thus, hourly expense) for a major function to under 3 minutes !!!
    ;)

11. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's the bulb. If your ballest was bad it would stay bad. The xenon gas eventually dissipates and won't reliably ignite an arc. Turning them off and back on sends another high voltage pulse and usually gets them going. This trick works for about a month. Here's a thread on the topic. Headlights working intermittently | PriusChat

12. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not likely to be the bulb.
    At times it can be the ballast.
    Or, there is a theory about it being a loose crimp connection that can be corrected with resoldering.

Most techs will take 20 to 30 minutes to change a light bulb. It involves dropping part of the bumper and extracting the headlight assembly. That is the most reliable way for most people to do it without getting cut up or damaging the surface of the bulb.

13. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

Thank you for all the responses. Glad I'm not the only one who is confused as to what the cause could be.

Ericbecky: I will try to give you a call tomorrow. Thank you!

14. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

I called Eric today, and he kindly referenced this post: HID Headlight Fix | PriusChat

It's too bad that the images in that post no longer work. But I am going to try and pull the bumper this weekend and see if I can find any possible locations to solder to solve the problem. If anyone has more information on exactly where to apply the solder, it would be VERY much appreciated!

15. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The important part from that post.
    When you get the headlight out, this will make sense....

"... the problem is the red-black wire pair inside the headlight that provides twelve volts to the headlight power supply.

Over time, the crimps become high resistance and act like a thermal switch.

You can take the plugs apart and solder the crimps..."

16. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

Great! I will try to take pictures and post them here. Thank you for the advice!

17. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    error. please delete

18. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  19. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

I ended up soldering the crimps AND replacing the bulbs, but the problem persists (possibly worse now).

I guess the next step will be to replace the ballasts. I found this tutorial: Toyota Prius: How to Replace the HID Ballast/Computer/ECU - PriusDIY.com Although I would rather not have to splice wires and disassemble connectors if possible. The author of that post points to these as being direct replacements: D4S/D4R OEM Ballast [TYT-OEM-BLST] - $74.95 Does anyone know if there is a toyota dealer online who sells direct replacements as well?

20. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two