1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius ICE won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by VinnyLA, Dec 30, 2019.

1. VinnyLA

VinnyLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi new to forum I have a 2007 Prius it Is displaying p3000 error code and red triangle. And something j never seen before but a red battery logo also.

So I replaced the hv battery with a good working battery I have two Prius cars so I know it's a good battery. And the car drains the hyrbid battery super fast and unevenly unbalancing the cells until error code comes on and car won't start. I'm thinking it's the transmission. When I push the car while it's in neutral the car will roll and then stop as if I'm turning the motor over so I would have to push harder to get it going and it makes a clunking noise. Hard to explain but does anyone have an idea thanks. Car only has 91k miles.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if it was transmission or inverter you would NOT be looking at a hybrid battery pack P3000 error code... So...

What are you using to retrieve error codes? There's probably sub-codes that your device is not catching.

Also when you say you're swapping a battery with a functional Prius. You're talking about the big huge 80 pound high voltage battery that takes lots of effort to disarm and remove, or are you talking about just the small regular 12v battery?

Your problem would be the big huge high voltage battery according to the error codes, but if you swapped that out entirely and the other Prius battery pack is working fine, then this doesn't make any sense? Please clarify how you're reading codes and verify what battery you swapped out?

3. VinnyLA

VinnyLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi thanks for the reply. I am talking about the big hybrid battery I have a working 06 Prius and one I just bought that is having problems. I swapped out the hybrid battery (big one) from a know working Prius into the broken one with the P3000 error code. And it drains the good HV battery almost instantly but it does it oddly making all the cells unbalance with a good battery draining it to 20 percent until error code appears. ICE Engine will not start also.

I am using just a Bluetooth scanner I know I can't retrieve the sub codes with that scanner. Also last night I decided to check transmission fluid and they was only a half a quart in the transmission. So that is why I am assuming it might be the transmission. Also when I put the car in neutral to push it into my garage the engine turns while I push it like as if it's stuck in park. But the display says it's in neutral. I can hear the compression from engine when pushing the vehicle.

When I changed the hybrid battery with a good working one it just drains the battery until I get a p3000 code and red triangle. If this is something you can help me out with I would appreciate it. Thanks

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DR. Prius App will give you the subcodes you're looking for... My best guess is you'll soon be checking the plugs in the right rear quarter panel for corrosion due to an error code for bad voltage on cooling fan circuit. Make sure your cooling fan is clean too!

5. VinnyLA

VinnyLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just in case anyone runs into the same problem I fixed it. It was the transmission the planetary gearset was locked due too low trans fluid and that was causing car to not start and feel as if in park while in neutral. There was no error codes for the problem. The transmission was draining the hybrid battery trying to start vehicle but the planetary gear set was so binded that it would just deplete battery and cause p3000 error. I replaced transmission and car runs fine now.