1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 prius in shop --- fix or get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ct prius dedicated, May 13, 2023.

1. Norm from GA

Norm from GA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The question is, what else has gone wrong with it?

If you have already had the ABS computer replaced, good! It cannot be ignored like on later models, because it controls ALL braking.

If the instrument cluster display panel, or better yet, its faulty capacitor, has been replaced, good. Random loss of display, including speedometer, is not good for younger drivers.

If the sticking coolant flow control valve has been replaced, great! They aren't much of an issue, except in cold-weather starts, but their error codes can become a nuisance.

These were all covered by extended warranties, but those ran out long ago. The last two are pretty minor, and maybe right for a DIY; the first one could be a budget buster!

I gave up my 2008 at 100k when all these chickens came to roost. But if you have already confronted these issues, let her drive it until the wheels fall off (no, there wasn't a TSB for that, as far as I know...)

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    112,000 mi so far what you've had done could have been done by a street mechanic for probably $130 labor that inverter pump for a street mechanic is quick to change while you're in there maybe look at the three-way valve right in front of it both relatively inexpensive parts even if you buy the new one from Toyota online only and by the generic three-way valve you'll be golden You have no miles on this car 112 somebody needs to be driving 50 miles a day or at least 12:15 If not keep the Prius put her in a Corolla an older one 09 comes to mind can find them for dirt cheap even s models.

3. ct prius dedicated

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    do you still recommend k-b over lynch? Lynch is quoting (for my 2007 prius with 125k miles) a bit under 1k for cooling flush(BG and inverter) and spark plug replacement. NOW I've got only mildly cool air coming our of AC and that will be at least 275 (assuming it's just a small leak).

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If it's just a small leak that's generally not the case and this kind of Toyota you get lucky and you need some o-rings that's a blessing but I kind of doubt it. The rest of the stuff you can do in your driveway well some folks can I guess. Anyway good luck with it usually this year model nets slot more miles

5. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Wow NE prices for sure. The coolant replacement can be done in a driveway. I'll be up in Cromwell CT. June 16-24. I'd be happy to do the coolant replacement work. I've done both our 2008. I can bring my tools and hand pump. PM me if interested.