1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius inverter pump replaced but car still won't star

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tim Duggan, May 16, 2022.

1. Tim Duggan

Tim Duggan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello everyone,

About a week ago, I was driving on the road when my dash went black and my car turned off all of a sudden. I was able to pull over to the curve as it was happening. I had no check engine lights prior, so it was quite a shock. At that point, I tried to turn on my car to see if it would start and all that was working were my car lights when I opened the door and the one dash light icon that tells you the car door is open. The rest of my dash was black and would not start. I had my car towed to my house so I can troubleshoot.

When I got to my house, I started to go through the fuses and found the 15A fuse was burnt that went to the inverter pump. I replaced the fuse and then attempted to turn on my car. As I attempted to turn on my car, I started to see smoke near the pump so I turned off the car and removed the fuse. The fuse was still working but the pump looked to be bad. I also saw I had almost zero coolant for some reason so I determined the pump was bad. I changed out the pump two years ago with an Amazon brand so that probably wasn't the right move.

This time, I went to get the dealer pump since the old pump didn't last that long. I was able to change out the pump successfully. I did not notice any damage to the plug physically so I plugged it back in. After everything was installed, I put a new 15A fuse in and have no results. I think my 12V battery may have died too because nothing turns on now including car lights and powered windows. When I had the 12V battery plugged into my portable charger, the car lights came on but still no dash lights still. The weird thing is if I take out the 15A fuse that goes to the inverter, the 12V to the car turns on. If I put the 15A fuse back in, the car will have no 12V power.

Has anyone dealt with this? Could it be the inverter pump plug? I would appreciate any suggestions!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the smoke was melting wire insulation and some wires are touching?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think usually the magic smoke that escapes is from the pump itself.

But this does sound as if maybe some additional smoke was released.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    disconnect the single wire plug just above and to the passenger side of the underhood fuse box. This is in the power circuit for the pump and will isolate it from the fuse box. Replace the AM2 fuse with a new one, they're cheap. See what happens.

If you pull the AM2 fuse (which supplies power to the Inverter pump) the entire car dash should be dead, with the exception of door ajar, IIRC.