1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 prius issues.... Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KatHeath, Nov 25, 2018.

1. KatHeath

KatHeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    [​IMG] red triangle light, check engine, brake, tire pressure, and air bag lights all on. Plus on monitor the red square with car and expalnation point is showing. i have changed throttle body and gasket, injectors and seals, ignition coil boots, maf sensor, knock sensor, valve cover gasket, vvt sensor, air filters, spark plugs, checked all fuses and relays, cleaned and/or checked crankshaft sensor, egr, pcv, coolant, and oil. 12v battery is new, other things not pertaining to codes that have been done recently are front shocks, sway bars, tie rods, brakes and rotors. So see i have no clue why my car keeps throwing these codes and the gas engine will shut off like not getting fuel while driving. You have to floor the gas peddle and pump it to get any fuel to go to it. Help please i am car poor and cant just keep replacing parts. The hv battery displays good on monitor and consideringthe battery gets me off the road safely or even a cpl miles after gas engine dies i think it is fine. Invertor is fine.. So what else is there.?

#1 KatHeath, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  2. KatHeath

KatHeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh and its not overheating. The car runs fine one minute and then lights come on and it dies.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It sounds like you have pulled the codes and have been troubleshooting for a bit. We are starting from zero and it would be helpful to see the codes the car continues to throw.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is quite a wide variety of indicator lights. And an awful lot of part replacements. I think you've replaced just about everything except the fuel pump/tank.....

Codes.....
    Like mentioned previously, and we can't emphasize enough, any chance you can get codes read and documented? Including any sub-codes?

Any chance you have Techstream?

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. KatHeath

KatHeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It keeps throwing P0172 and P3190

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well it sounds like the MAF sensor. You said in your original post you "changed" the MAF. Is that a brand new MAF sensor? Junk pull? Tested at all with a DMM?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. KatHeath

KatHeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok the 120v fuse by 12v battery was bad. Ran fine after for over 100 miles and then red triangle and brke light and maint req came back on along with the red car and exclamation point on the monitor but car did not die this time and did not lose power and I checked the codes and there was none that there was three pending one for the catalytic and two for the oxygen sensors which I just replaced also so I still need help please I'm dying here

8. KatHeath

KatHeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I believe the oxygen sensors were because they are running too rich but how do I stop them from running too rich and I can't remember what it said about the catalytic I'm sorry

9. KatHeath

KatHeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    New codes are p0420 and p2296

10. KatHeath

KatHeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Pending codes that is

11. KatHeath

KatHeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok i swear my car is possesed or something. Ok fixed and it broke again. Now codes have went to p0420 and p2196 but then changed to p0420, p2238, p3190. Does it have a short or ground issue possibly? I am about to junk it.

12. KatHeath

KatHeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It was a new MAF but could one of new parts be faulty and causing problems?

13. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You need to fix the problem(s) that are causing a rich condition. Maybe time to get a temporary subscription to Toyota TIS (Technical Information Systems), so you can get the factory manual and the diagnostic tree. You may need to follow this person's procedure to save the CHM files to PDF. Toyota TIS download tips | PriusChat

Modern vehicles are computer controlled. Sensors provide inputs to the computers. The computers in turn control everything to maintain optimum output based on demands and sensor inputs.

New MAF from who? If not from the dealer or a Toyota dealer who sells online, quality is suspect.

There is always the possibility that a new part could be bad, esp if the source of the part is not from a reputable source.

What are you using to read the codes? If not Techstream software, the reader could be suspect and might be missing codes.

Skibob likes this.
  14. KatHeath

KatHeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    okay broke down and I took the car in the Toyota and had them run the Diagnostics or whatever on it and they're telling me that I need new catalytic which I don't believe in that is going to cost me $3,600 I don't think so

15. KatHeath

KatHeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Would the catalytic cause all the issues i have been having? Really?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    possibly. check aftermarket, might be a few hundred. and check your state inspection rules, california requires oem.

17. KatHeath

KatHeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I drove the car for two days with no complications. The check engine light just came on last night but no other lights and car has not stalled or anything. She does not hesitate going up a hill or bog down but she does make a funny sound going up a hill. Wouldnt the cat make it not run at all

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think so, but you might have rough running