1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius keyfob buttons not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jules71, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Jules71

Jules71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really hope someone can help point me in the right direction.

We have one key fob. It took a swim and ever since then, the buttons on the fob don't work, nor does the car lock/unlock when reaching for the door handle.

Things I've done:
    *Replaced fob battery.
    *Made sure "key" button below steering wheel is in the proper position (out for on).
    *Moved circuit board and chip from old fob case to new fob case.
    *Red light illuminates on fob when buttons are pressed

So bought a new non OEM fob and took it to a certified locksmith. They couldn't get it to work.

Returned that fob and bought a USED OEM fob on eBay.

I just did the two part chicken dance. Got the used OEM fob working to start car when it is inserted in the slot in the car. The second part (for programming buttons) failed after step 9 (below) when it says to press both buttons on the fob you're programming.

Can someone please confirm if this failed because:
    1. The original fob buttons are not working so it couldn't clone it, or
    2. It needs to be "reseeded" to erase all wireless keys. And if #2 is correct, this requires some code given by Toyota?

Here are the directions I followed:

The Fob (for operating the car)

1. Insert old fob into slot and remove it 4 times in a row, and insert it a fifth time but leave it in there!

2. Open and close driver door 6 times.

3. Remove old fob from slot. Car is in fob programming mode at this point.

4. Insert new fob and leave in the slot for a full minute. Watch the blinking red anti-theft light on the dashboard. When it stops flashing and goes dark, your new fob is all set.

5. Remove the new fob and you're done. You should test both fobs to be sure they work properly.

The Fob (for remotely unlocking/locking the doors)

1. Open the driver door with no fob in slot and the driver door unlocked and opened. Other doors can be locked or unlocked, it doesn't matter.

2. Insert old fob into slot and remove it twice within 5 seconds.

3. Close and open driver door twice.

4. Insert and remove old fob once.

5. Close and open driver door twice again.

6. Insert old fob in slot and close door.

7. Without pressing the brake, press power button, wait a second, press it again, wait a second, press it a third time to turn car back off.

8. Remove old fob from slot. You'll be in "add mode" at this point.

9. Car should lock and unlock doors TWICE to verify it is in add mode.

-->10. Press both buttons on new fob simultaneously for a second and a half!.

11. Within 3 seconds, press only the lock symbol button. yes it does matter which!

12. Car should respond with one quick lock/unlock to verify that the new fob is all set. If the car responds with two lock/unlocks, that means it didn't work. I don't know how to troubleshoot that problem. Maybe just try again.

13. To end this programming, open a door or put fob in the slot.

(I copied from a different Prius Chat thread, sorry can't remember who posted it.)

#1 Jules71, Mar 22, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are pretty much out of luck on two counts: 1) the fob needs to be a new unused fob with a silver logo, and 2) you need one working fob to use that step-by-step procedure (aka the Chicken Dance) that you posted above.

Curious to know why you didn't have Toyota program the key seeing as you went to the trouble to buy the OEM key and you are in the "all keys lost" situation effectively? You need to have someone with credentials to do the "all keys lost" procedure before you can program a second key from the first if you want to have a second key.

3. Jules71

Jules71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. I bought the used OEM fob w/ silver logo on eBay for about $50. The dealer wanted way more ($200). My understanding from reading here is that it can be a used fob - in which case they will have to erase all previous key fobs (virginize). I just need to make sure this is correct before we go to the locksmith again. I will print out T-SB-0057-18 and take it with me.

So just to be clear, if our current fob had working buttons, the chicken dance would have cloned it completely?

4. Jules71

Jules71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see the confusion when I said "I bought a new OEM fob" the first time. This time I bought a USED OEM fob from eBay. I will correct the post so I don't confuse others.

5. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What did it swim in? Water need not be the death of electronics unless reasonably high voltages are involved or the water is salty or dirty.

Since as far as you can tell that fob is nonfunctional, you don't have much to lose if you try to revive it. Try soaking the original electronics and the RFID chip in distilled water (with the battery out), perhaps 10 minutes with gentle agitation. Then shake it off gently and place it in a small bag of rice. This might remove a dirt or salt bridge which is causing it to malfunction. If that doesn't work, look it over closely with a magnifying glass, you might be able to spot some corrosion or something which looks like it might be shorting some conductors together.

Did you test the battery under load? It is possible to buy a defective (or very old) coin battery, which can make a device twitch a little but not really function correctly.