1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius - Misfire codes and Car won't drive or reverse

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Missstephanie2_, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Missstephanie2_

Missstephanie2_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, hi everyone hoping here can get some valuable advice!

Purchased used 2007 Prius hatchback in 2013 - Had the car 3 1/2 years and NO issues til now.

Current Mileage: 161,000 miles

This is the issue: on Sunday 11/20/16 afternoon, I went to get a standard oil change for the synthetic blend oil at Valvoline shop for my 2007 Prius. Literally, 15 minutes later as I am driving on the road, my Prius goes haywire all dash codes appear and the monitor shows Problem.. and then my Prius does not allow me to go pass 40mph, luckily I was able to make it back to Valvoline shop and as I pulled up to park, my car stopped. I could turn it on, however the gears would not shift into drive or reverse only into neutral. So the guys at the shop were trying to YouTube or google what could be wrong with my car. And nothing, they were nice as could be but I still had a non-operational Prius. Which their recommendation was to get rid of it. Anyways I take it the toyota dealership to be diagnosed and I talked to the service advisor and they diagnosed it after having it towed to their service department at 9:30am, upon 3:41pm so 6 hours being in the service department brian concluded this to me in a text message:

Fortunately,It appears you have some misfire codes. Need to do sparkplugs, engine decarbinization, fuel injection/induction cleanings & you should be good to go!

For a total of $457.75 and he said all I need is your authorization, so In my mind, this is what it's gonna take to fix my car, so I authorized him to do the work and he stated my car would be ready to pickup on Friday.

So Friday is here I call 8:30am to get an update. Supposedly Brian is with another customer so then he calls me back at 9:48am and to tell me HE FOUND A NEW ISSUE: That with all the work he preformed on my Prius, apparently after he diagnosed my car a new issue appears that my ECU is bad and it needs to be replaced for a replacement part; it'll cost $900 plus 3 hours labor. So I'm definitely looking at over $1500 to fix my Prius supposedly... I just find it so hard to believe that after authorizing my vehicle to be fixed with Brian scope of work to replace the spark plugs, injection cleaning and the decadbonization!? I trusted his word and now I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm being take advantage of and in need my car. Then Brian tried to PUSH me over to sales to get a New car but I owe than the cars worth... so I called the General Manager and explained everything and he said he was going to call me 5-10 minutes, so he to talk to the service manager and Brian to try to resolve this issue. I still Haven't got a call back it's been more 2 hours and a half since I called at 10:04am, it is now 12:39pm.This is just a whole crazy mess. Any help for this Newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Also, I checked battery it states 11.9-12.0 V so I know definitely my battery is good.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    battery seems a bit low, how did you check it, and how old is it?

please ask them what codes they received, and report back here with them.
    edit: your pick shows 12.3v?

#2 bisco, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  3. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never having experienced your problem, but based on experiences posted elsewhere on PC and "conventional wisdom", your 12v battery is DOA.

It explains ALL your symptoms, even the misfiring.

All engine functions are 12v based, even the sparkplugs, via the ignition coils. If your system voltage is low due to a worn 12v battery, the ECM/ECU will not function correctly and various modules can log faults.

Normal "good" voltage for a "12v" battery is a MINIMUM of 12.5v and operating closer to 13.6v (2.2v per cell times 6 cells = 13.6). Your statements and photo all indicate LESS than 12.5V, therefore my conclusion is a bad 12v battery and it is EASILY confirmed by performing a battery load test - which in your case they should do for FREE.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since it happened after an oil change first thing I would have done is check the oil level.

Overfilling the oil is a quick way to render the car inoperable.

I would personally go to the dealership and ask to see my car. Then I would check the oil myself. Or ask that they check it in my presence.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Missstephanie2_ likes this.
  5. Missstephanie2_

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your insight, that was my conclusion however the guys at shop say it was electric issue since it's a Prius and how do I know if they overfilled it? I'm not too car savvy in the maintenance. Because originally Brian stated my gas was contaminated and a air bubble got in the tank and my fuel injector needed to cleaned and decarbonized and replace my spark plugs. Now the service Manager Stewart is telling something different that my car is still inoperable?? This is what he texted me:

3 Codes P0AOF Engine failed to start.
    P3190 Poor Engine Power.
    C2318 Low Voltage error (power supply malfunction)
    Upon arrival Engine was running very rough ((The engine was not rough, it wouldn't even start right before I dropped off the vehicle to the service department)) and had a cylinder misfire, this was the reason to replace all 4 spark plugs and clean fuel injectors. After performing this first the Engine, now that we replaced the spark plugs the Engine miss fire is gone and idles good. The issue is that after it runs for a short time it will stall out and go into limp mode. The only code in system now is P0AOF with sub codes 204 & 205 which Toyota diag. To replace ECU (Engine Control Module) this is the repair to limp mode. The only code in system now is P0AOF with sub codes 204 & 205 which Toyota diag. To replace ECU (Engine Control Module) this is the repair that needs to be performed now.

However this is what he told me, after doing what Brian said to fix my car, there are still codes appearing and they had to rediagnose and now Brian is like I can't say for sure but I am almost positive this should correct the issue? How can you tell someone this. He was like instead of $1500, I will
    Only charge you $1000 and was putting me
    On to get their Car care one Credit to pay for the services. I don't know but I feel
    I'm getting ripped off. I still owe money on this vehicle.

Wouldn't that be the first thing they look at is my battery!? I don't understand they have not said anything about my battery and now I am getting madder by the second at all this. I thought my battery was good at 12.0 when I ran the test on the monitor settings with the headlights on. So your saying to do a load test and then what from There? How do I know when I need to change or replace cells or even how long my battery will last or placed in? Thank you for your insight!!

Here is what the service manager texted me:

3 Codes P0AOF Engine failed to start.
    P3190 Poor Engine Power.
    C2318 Low Voltage error (power supply malfunction)
    Upon arrival Engine was running very rough ((The engine was not rough, it wouldn't even start right before I dropped off the vehicle to the service department)) and had a cylinder misfire, this was the reason to replace all 4 spark plugs and clean fuel injectors. After performing this first the Engine, now that we replaced the spark plugs the Engine miss fire is gone and idles good. The issue is that after it runs for a short time it will stall out and go into limp mode. The only code in system now is P0AOF with sub codes 204 & 205 which Toyota diag. To replace ECU (Engine Control Module) this is the repair to limp mode. The only code in system now is P0AOF with sub codes 204 & 205 which Toyota diag. To replace ECU (Engine Control Module) this is the repair that needs to be performed now.

6. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LIES!!!!!!! These cars have a fuel bladder, Brian is either ignorant or an outright liar.

C2318 is STRONGLY suggestive of a bad 12v battery, ~$200 installed diag included!

You would be better served to pay for the diagnostics (est $250 would be fair) and TOW IT OUT of this STEALERship to another DEALER and NEVER GO BACK!

Yes, if they are honest!

Bluegrassman likes this.
  7. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I still am leaning towards overfill.

These are classic overfill symptoms.

The tech may be correctly following the diagnostic tree, but he/she may want to use common sense/experience instead.

Seriously, call me and I'll talk you through a few things, or even go to bat for you with the dealer.

Edit: I've worked on hybrids for over a decade and run my own independent hybrid repair shop. I've seen this problem before. Additionally, here is a link to a post with the same problem as seen by another Prius mechanic Oil overfill caused complete shutdown | Page 2 | PriusChat

Bluegrassman likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Eric is right. I use valvoline too and there idiots
    In there computer list they have oil quantity for a G2
    Listed as 5 quarts. I say that's nice today your putting
    In 3.5 and here's what your using. I bring my own
    Bottle with exact amount, plus they use an oil gun which is
    Inaccurate so they put one more shot in to be sure so you rolled
    Out of there with about 2 extra quarts which blows by the
    Oil rings and foul the plugs. Seen this here many times.
    Plugs need to be replaced.
    And the 12 volt battery at 11.9 volts is toast too. Buy new 12.
    Man your dealer is either incompetent or a rip off artist or both. And BTW there was so much oil it probably got into the throttle
    Body and fouled that too. That needs to be cleaned too.
    Dealer decarbonization is total bullshit to them its a bottle
    Of techron they pour in gas tank u can buy for 3 dollars at
    Walmart. I feel sorry for any lady at dealers mercy there brutal.
    U need to find an independent car mechanic and take good
    Care of him because a Prius with 166600 miles will soon be a money pit and at dealer $140 an hour u will soon be walking.
    Maybe time to lease a new car.
    A high mileage Prius is poor choice of car for someone not savvy as a dealer will confound and scare you always saying its electric.
    But most issues are just normal car issues.
    The one main issue concerning electric is the hybrid battery.
    Your approaching end of life on that so dont sink alot of money into the car with these idiots.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    learn how to check your oil on you tube, it's a good practice after every oil change and when you fill up with gas.

10. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd be happy to supplement the videos and help you build confidence before you talk to the dealer.

I would yet not tell them you suspect overfill until you can go and see the car in person.
    You don't want them to remove the extra oil until you confirm it in person with them.

If you are not confident about checking the oil, have someone else join you.

I would be carefully documenting these interactions because you may want dispute the $457 charge and/or go back to the oil change place with proof of the overfill.

Bluegrassman likes this.
  11. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    checking oil level is easy and important. frankly, anyone who refuses to learn how to pull the dipstick and check the oil level deserves to take the bus. go to the dealer, read your owners manual, and check it now. its your car, yet you won't take the time to learn simple important maintenance items??? you are asking to be ripped off when you are willfully ignorant of basic maintenance. while your at it, figure out how to air your tires correctly. sorry for the apparent lack of empathy here, but I see way to many folks that refuse to do simple things to protect their vehicle (and wallet).
    and you probably need a new 12v battery, not a hybrid battery,

edthefox5 likes this.
  12. Missstephanie2_

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Eric! I appreciate your help. What videos do you have, I am planning to go to the dealership now to check my car out. I am now learning that I need to be more intuitive to my car going forward. I don't want to sound timid or unconfident when I go there.

T

13. Missstephanie2_

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How can I call you Eric?

14. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    608-729-4082

edit: Here is a video about overfilled oil in a Prius. That is how common it is! Although it is for a 2001-2003 model, it is still generally applicable to yours.
    Fix for overfilled oil in Prius - YouTube look at 17 seconds.

#14 ericbecky, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  15. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems Missstephanie2 has not posted back so here is the update.
    We spoke on the phone and indeed, the car was filled a bit above the full mark.
    After doing the $457 worth of work at the dealer (witch may not have been needed) the car was going back to Valvoline to discuss the overfill.

16. Missstephanie2_

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Guys!

Sorry I have been MIA, long and late hours at my new job. OK, So here's the deal, if I hadn't found this site I would of never known what to do. I want to give a special shout out to Eric for walking me thru and helping me. This was a nightmare!

So after going to toyota on Saturday, supposed Brian and Stewart were not there! I talked to Nick the ASM of service and I told him Take me to my car !!! I want to see the condition of my vehicle. So I get into my car and it works!!!!!! Revere and drive and all the error codes are gone! The ASM even confirmed with the codes that I received was due to over spillage of oil, I took a picture for proof. Then I told Nick; why is my car working when Stewart stated that I needed to replace my ECU in order for my car to work plus he stated that might now fix the issue. I was so mad, I told Nick I want to take my car and pay for what has been done and be done with them! And all thru this madness I was on the phone with Super Eric!!
    So then they didn't want to give me back my car I waited there for like over an hour. Til finally Nick was like we have to test drive it first to make sure it's safe to drive, BS. So I just let them test drive my car the service tech said my car was good to go. I paid and they have a small discount to $391.75 but trust me I will go after them. They LIED TO ME! I have had my car for the past 2 days to test it myself and it drives just as the day I got the car. So I will being doing a BBB Review for a full refund of a customer mistreat. Now I have been trying to get hold of the DM since Saturday left a voicemail and no call back, i call again today and I had to call him three times to get a hold of him now he is giving me the runaround, I gave him the codes from toyota and he said he has to research and will get back to me in a few hours and he said that he's sorry and asked how much was the bill from toyota. And Nick stated from the codes it was overfill issue. And he tried to say that it wasn't there fault and that the guys only put 3.9 qtz in my oil? So then how could it overfill? So now waiting to hear back from Valvoline and gonna call over to Toyota to see if we can work this out before the BBB has to get involved.

17. Missstephanie2_

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

18. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    YEY and kudos to Eric!

19. Missstephanie2_

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, Guys!

Today I am going to talk to Manager to see if they will pay for my service for the catastrophe they caused my car! And I'm putting in BBB complaint on the dealership too! I can't wait til all this is done. All thanks to Eric in my corner, I got the doc ready to show the manager due to the oil overfilling causing my Prius to go out of commission!

20. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Feel free to use your "phone a friend" lifeline if you need to.
    I'm available.