1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 prius misfire issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Montster88, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Montster88

Montster88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi my friends,
    I'm new to this club and I am hoping someone can give me answers to my questions. I am an owner of a 2007 prius with over 211,000 miles on it. I have been getting sometimes extreme rough idle, check engine light on with misfire codes. What I have done is replaced the sparkplugs, coils, PCV valve, cleaned the MAS and recently replaced my VVT solenoid Sensor and I'm still getting the same problem with the gas mileage going down fast. Does anyone have a solution to my problem?

2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well since you’ve covered everything but the fuel injectors, you might start with a strong cleaner, and it that doesn’t work replace them! You can get a set of 4 on eBay under $50.

SFO likes this.
  3. PriusUkTech

PriusUkTech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Egr and cooler disconnect the egr plug check if still misfires if No clean both parts there's a link in the gen 3 forum on how to
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would suspect the problem is with fuel injectors or a bad fuel pump. You can test to see their performance or if they are cheap enough, you can just change them out (injectors)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If its the original hybrid battery that's an amazingly good run. bet it spends alot of time in purple bars and you now have to really floor the car to get going. You may not even notice how much harder the engine has to work and all of a sudden the engine is running rough and its not happy with the beating its getting. How much oil does the engine eat between oil changes? How many times has the engine run so low on oil the engine light came on?

How many times have you heard the fan come on in the back seat? But no matter whats going on with the engine you will be dealing with that hybrid battery soon.

Soft hybrid battery is really the #1 reason your mileage is tanking. Hybrid battery supplies the bulk of propulsion power without its full contribution the little engine has to supply all the power and that's not good. Its an under powered go kart at that point with terrible mileage.

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Are there any OBD2 codes (DTCs) you can share with us?

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just for others coming to this thread, the Gen 2 does not have an EGR system, so it is not prone to those problems unlike the Gen 3 which does have an EGR.

SFO likes this.