1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius P1116 code and coolant control valve issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mpbrisson, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mpbrisson

mpbrisson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My 2007 Prius is 2 years old and has 19K. It has been in and out of the dealership 4 times in 3 months...physically at the service department for 15+ days.

It started with a MIL light. I brought it in for a 20K service and they cleared the codes..said they'd taken care of whatever the issue had been. The Mil was back on the next day.

That next visit the 'coolant flow control valve' was replaced. No indication of what codes prompted this, but the codes were cleared. I took the car home. Two days later, MIL appears again.

During the next visit, the 'coolant tank sensor' was replaced. The codes were cleared. A few days later, MIL lights up again.

Over the holidays, the dealership had my Prius for 6 business days. The technician decided after much discussion and testing, that the original 'coolant flow control valve' was defective and had to be replaced again. His paperwork indicated that the P1116 code had come up 3 times since the replacement of the original 'coolant flow control valve. Took the vehicle home. Ran great for a week, but the MIL came on again.

I took it to Advanced Auto. Their code detector got another P1116 with the 2nd 'coolant flow control valve'.

I really need some advice. I bought this vehicle new. It's never been in an accident. I have never had any issues until that dreaded light came on in early November 08, and now it seems it won't go away. Am I dealing with a lemon now? Do I try another dealership? Do I call Toyota Corp?

Is this particular issue/code causing damage to the engine as it continues to malfunction? Every time I turn the vehicle on now, I'm looking for that light. It's driving me crazy. I love my car, but I don't know what to do. I would appreciate any advice.

1 person likes this.
  2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Reading the description in the manual, the P1116 code indicates that there is a problem with the coolant tank outlet sensor. Did they try replacing the sensor? Edit oops it looks like they did. Perhaps the wiring is making a bad connection.

See attached pages.

P.S. It should not cause any damage to the engine.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. mpbrisson

mpbrisson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks dogfriend...given that the current technician has not come to that conclusion after 4 visits, do you think it's wise to try another dealer?

The problem is this dealer is already 1.5 hrs away, the next closest is 2, the next is 2.5. This is total drag. I've put 1000 miles on the car just trying to get this straight.

1 person likes this.
  4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, maybe a more experienced tech would also check the wiring connectors and would also realize that the car must complete two driving cycles before the MIL (malfunction indicator light) is lit. That is why they think that the problem is fixed, but it comes back the next day after the second driving cycle.

AFIK, the purpose of the sensor is to verify that the coolant pump and reservoir are supplying hot coolant to the cylinder head prior to the first start of the engine. Even if it is not, it won't damage your engine. It may cause the emissions to be higher than normal because it will take a little bit longer for the engine to warm up.

mattdhurley12 and dave77 like this.
  5. mpbrisson

mpbrisson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for easing my worries about any possible engine harm.

...so the MIL light was on for less than 24 hrs this time. I spoke to the dealer this morning to make them aware.

...what are the chances that this code is popping as a result of the computer's history, and what is the likelihood it will clear itself after a number of cycles???

1 person likes this.
  6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it doesn't come on again you're good. But for any future problem take it to another Toyota dealer. It looks like you didn't enjoy letting the first one use yours as a learner...

1 person likes this.
  7. CheapA55

CheapA55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I got the same problem with my 05 Prius.

1. I took it in to Toyota Central in DT Los Angeles, they changed my coolant check valve and they charged me 450$ due to it being out of warranty.

2. The check engine light came on again. They bleed the coolant supposedly.

3. The check engine light came on again. They changed the water pump, that was still in warranty.

4. The check engine light came on again. Now they know that there is still a Air bubble in the coolant system, but they do not know how to bleed it. They said they are calling Toyota Corp.

I can't believe that they do not know how to bleed the coolant correctly. After they told me about a air pocket in the system, i found out how to bleed it in 1 minute online.

I called Toyota Corp at 800-331-4331 and i now have a case manager team working on this problem. I should get a call by tomorrow from my case worker.

1 person likes this.
  8. SteelerJim

SteelerJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wonder if there's an epidemic going 'round. My 2007 Prius (Touring Ed, 49.5K miles) had the "Check Engine" light come on yesterday. I made an appointment at the Toyota dealer and continued driving the car. By the end of the day, the "CE" indicator had turned off. I took it in today anyway (to a dealer in Long Beach) and they told me it was the same error code as reported in this thread. They told me the coolant valve is "sticking" and it would be $450 to replace it. I declined, wanting to find out more information. I'll be interested to see what your Toyota case manager says, CheapA55.

1 person likes this.
  9. mpbrisson

mpbrisson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My water pump has not been replaced yet....but I have read before about problems with air being bled out of the cooling system.

I have also contacted Toyota and have a case manager. I am going to be contacted by an agent in my 'region' by the end of business January 23rd. I will let you all know the outcome.

My MIL light has been on 3 times since my last appointment over the holidays. It's currently been lit for 2 days. Depending on the response from the agent, I bet I'll be back at the shop sometime next week.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to state that this is the 'coolant heat storage tank sensor', i.e. the thermos. The sensor is supposed to tell the computer that it's getting hot coolant back from the thermos. The code is logged if there is less than 1 degree Celsius increase after opening the valve, or if the engine coolant sensor reads more than 25 degrees C higher than the thermos outlet temperature sensor.

If this doesn't happen, chances are pretty good that the sensor has stopped working. It can also indicate that the coolant isn't flowing properly due to a blockage. There are also three other codes relating to this sensor - P1115 indicates an intermittent open circuit or short, P1117 indicates a permanent short circuit, and P1118 indicates open circuit. If the valve doesn't open properly, it should log P1121 (Coolant Flow Control Valve Position Sensor Circuit Stuck). Codes P1120, P1122 and P1123 indicate problems with the valve position sensor.

The more I read about this car, the more I think you should just do diagnostics by reading off the codes and following the troubleshooting procedure for that code in the manual: for pretty much every system, there are sensors to confirm that the system is operating correctly, and there are electrical checks to confirm that the sensors are working properly.

I'd make sure they're actually checking the right sensor.

prius2serve and dave77 like this.
  11. mpbrisson

mpbrisson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: Mike Dimmick...The first visit was code P0125 INST TEMP FOR COOLANT CLOSED LOOP. The correction listed by tech: Reprogrammed PCM EG8014. No part replacement.The second visit produced code P1121/SERVICE BULLETIN #EG001-08. Correction listed: R&R Coolant Flow Control Valve, part 16670-21010 Valve Assy, Water W replaced.The 3rd visit produced code P1116 TEMP STACK MALFUNCTION DUE TO FAILURE INTERNAL OIL TEMP SENSOR. The correction listed: R&R Coolant Tank Temp Sensor, part 89429-47010 Sensor, Temperature replaced.The 4th visit produced code P1116 3 times since replacement of CHS Valve. Local tech spoke with corp. tech, who told him to bleed and retest. If that did not work, replace valve again, which the local tech did.I continue to get P1116. That's why I've been looking for answers in this forum and currently have Toyota looking at my case. The above info was pulled from dealership tickets... Thanks

1 person likes this.
  12. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is a nightmare epidemic. 3/4 same or similar cases? Is this what I have to look forward to?

13. mpbrisson

mpbrisson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Toyota Corp. has set up an appt. for a regional tech rep to look at my car Tues the 27th. I will let you all know the outcome.

1 person likes this.
  14. CheapA55

CheapA55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    ok, so it took them 4 days to figure it out. I called that number that number in my last post. This number is Toyota's Corp line, i told them the whole story, and they had a team look into my issue. A Master tech from Toyota went out to look at my car. Apparently they put the piece in incorrectly, the hoses were in the wrong places. They had to compare my prius with another 05.

The person that i talked to said they will give me a refund of the original part and labor because of the mishaps, aside from my being a loyal Toyota customer. REFUND!!!

I guess the problem is finally fixed after having to contact the higher authority. After using that loaner car(rav4) i missed my navi, auto key sensor for unlocking and ignition, and most of all gas saving features... blah...

Call Toyota Corp at 800-331-4331 and complain about the issue, maybe if you bitch enough, they will even get you a refund.. lol

that coolant sensor is only covered under a 36k/ 3 year warranty, but i think that is BS. I complained that due to this being a direct part of the hybrid system this should be a 60k, 5 year part. I even referred them to the TSB that this is a known problem part.

1 person likes this.
  15. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do you have that number handy? Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  16. CheapA55

CheapA55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  17. mpbrisson

mpbrisson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just to update everyone, I should have my prius back this week sometime. I've had the loaner now a full week. The Master Tech looked at my prius last Thursday, and they've ordered parts etc....something about replacing the 'coolant tank assembly' and other parts associated with that.

I will post the exact parts and problems addressed after I pick up the vehicle. It's tough to remember the exact details of the conversation.

MB

1 person likes this.
  18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The *next* time you need service for whatever, is there another Toyota dealer available to you?

1 person likes this.
  19. mpbrisson

mpbrisson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My current dealer is 90 minutes away...the next closest dealer is 2 hours 15 minutes. I know what you're hinting towards. I'm picking up my car this evening. We'll see how it goes, and if I have another issue (fingers crossed), I'll just have to consider all my options....again.

1 person likes this.
  20. mpbrisson

mpbrisson New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    4:45pm: Picked up my prius. They replaced 3 parts. 87200-47030 Accessory Assembly, 16660-21011 Tank Assembly, 89422-33030 Sensor Water Temp. Total cost under warranty for parts and labor $2340.08

5:00pm: Leave Toyota Dealership.

5:15pm: 30 degrees outside, and I notice the car is not heating up. Heat is not working at 72 degrees, so I crank it to 76...still not warming up. Next thing I know the Red Exclamation Point lights up the dash. I pull over, call the dealership, and decide to bring it back. On the way back I get the Red Exclamation Point, then the Navigation screen says "Problem", and flashes a small red thermostat.

6:00pm: I'm own my way home again with the loaner I just spent a week and a half in.

I'll be dealing with Toyota Corp. in the morning as my case continues to get more interesting. I'm at my wits end. I have no idea what to do. I have not driven my car for any meaningful amount of time in 3 months. I continue to make payments on a car I haven't seen and cannot drive. I no longer have confidence in this vehicle...I don't know what the next step is.

1 person likes this.