1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Ran out of Gas :( and drained battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hokie-Dave, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, I'm assuming it was my fault I ran out of gas. I wasn't pushing it, had an injector leak and it was obviously leaking more than I thought.

On way back from picking up new O-rings for fuel injectors car dies. Throws up the big triangle and I am able to drive it off the road to a parking lot. Try starting it a couple times and no luck. Get it towed home. I change out the injector O-rings and try to start the car a few more times with no luck. By this time, it started throwing the P0A80 code. Car was running just fine before I accidentally depleted the battery.

Afterwards I'm thinking and remember that the injectors did not spray when I removed the fuel rail. hmmmm. Still not believing I ran out of gas, I put in 6 gallons of gas (2 trips to gas station with 3 1 gallon cans). Car now reports about 2/3 instead of flashing fuel light so I must have been out of gas.

PROBLEM: Can't get car started with the P0A80 code. Would you thing the Prolong Grid Charger will get the battery back to where I can restart the car?

Thanks,
    dave

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds like you have depleted the hv battery.

If you have access to the Prolong equipment, charge it up and see what happens.

But the pack will most likely be low and that should cure this current issue.

SFO likes this.
  3. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I do not have access to one, but an thinking $400 is cheaper than a new battery since I got myself into a little circle where the motor will not start due to the depleted battery and the car cannot charge the battery because car with depleted battery will not allow motor to start.

SM-N950U1 ?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just know you also need the harness and will have to install;).

So a bit involved, but once done you’ll have everything you’ll need to maintain the battery past your current situation (y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Ray. I believe from looking at their site, when you buy the kit for a particular car / Year (2004-2009 Prius) for example, you get the harness. But I will definitely double check that before ordering.

Thanks,
    dav
    e

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Howdy neighbor... I am not quite sure what the state of the HV battery is. But you want to make sure you have a good 12V battery in there, and I think you can get the code cleared by disconnecting 12V and reconnecting. If you can get the engine started, you can force charge by putting your foot on the brake and just keep some gas pedal revving until you have good charge in the blue on the screen. But low charge on an older HV battery is obviously not good. Gen3 Toyota fixed that issue so car stopped when the battery still held some residual charge

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Another NOVinian, Howdy! Battery is obviously getting tired, but have still be getting mid 40's mpg out of it. I did check the 12V and unfortunately that was good. Guy at Pep Boys was a bit shocked when I was disappointed that the battery checked out 100% (12.7V). The car is unfortunately not wanting to start, but maybe tonight I'll try disconnedting the battery again and then trying to start it with my foot planted on the brake and gving it some gas. Problem is I can't get it out of neutral. :(

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck.
    Keep in mind I think it might need 3-4 gallons of gasoline to register on the gas gauge....not sure if that impacts starting.

9. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well.... I was able to keep it running after work enough to ferry the battery a charge. it is running again! I did find it the fuse labeled "Dome" does more than just the fine lights. It controls the interior lights, radio AND the SKS key system. And possibly the VSC as well because that light was on until I replaced the fuse.

Thanks everybody for the ideas and responses. I can use the HOV lane again tomorrow morning.

Dave

SM-N950U1 ?

wjtracy likes this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering how you had HOV tags but I see you are member in good standing since 2005, so you are apparently a grandfathered HOV plate owner. Let's see if you can keep the old car running until the HOT lanes are finished, and then the HOV plate will be semi-useless (sadly)!

11. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think Virginia did away with the HOV plate sometime during the summer of 2011 if I'm not mistaken. I've had this one since 2010 and had an '03 during 2005-2010. Yes, kinda sad that they are turning my HOV lane into HOT lanes on 66. I had to drive with everybody else Monday and Tuesday and it wasn't fun. :(

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 3 HOV plates, with the Clean Fuels logo on the Left Right and now Center. You can still get the Center logo but it is only good for like Dulles Toll Road or something like that. 2010 you must have Logo on the Right which was I66 but not I95 issued thru June_2011. The best was Logo on the Left which was all HOV issued until June_2006 which still is important here in Fx some HOV driviers can still get on I395 to DC, but quickly that is becoming HOT so free HOV days are numbered.

Are you stuck with the new up to $45 HOT lanes on I66 inside the Beltway or do you get off before that?

13. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the original LOGO that is on the left since I was able to transfer the plates from my '03 to the '07 I purchased in 2010. I do not go beyond the beltway, I work in Falls Church so I take 66 to 495 unless I get off early at Rt. 50 for my Dunkin Donuts coffee craving.

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    our yearly trek through your area is some of the most interesting. i have never seen how lanes like that anywhere else.
    hen we pass by on a wednesday afternoon, it doesn't look like many takers.

saturday, on the way back, it looks like all the entrances are closed.

15. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bisco, Yes on I-95 traffic flows on the HOT lanes in only 1 direction. Depending on the time of day the entrances would be closed if traffic was flowing the opposite way. On I-66 outside the beltway the left lanes are the designated HOV lanes during rush hour and inside the beltway are the HOT lanes which as WJTracy stated can cost up to $45 for a 13 mile drive to DC.