1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Red Triangle while driving.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Danni, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Danni

Danni New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I have noticed that my 2007 Prius’ red triangle will come one while driving, usually around a corner (or so it seemed). Yesterday I was able to take a few videos of what actually happens. Does anyone mind looking at them and telling me if you might know what’s going on?

Mileage: 151k
    Hybrid Battery replaced: 126k
    Oil last changed: June 2019

Thank you.
    Danielle

Attached Files:

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    The red icon in the upper left corner of the MFD could be the give away, how often do you check the engine oil and fluids in the vehicle?

Best to check the engine oil on a level surface, and if possible after the vehicle has sat for a period of time, or overnight.

Lack of regular vehicle maintenance, and especially low engine oil levels will kill a perfectly usable prius fairly quick.

You can learn what the various dash warnings and symbols mean by reading the manual.

If the vehicle didn't come with a set of manuals, you can find them at Toyota Warranty & Toyota Manuals | Toyota Owners

3. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to get some oil in the engine pronto!
    Some level of damage has already been done by driving with low oil.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi @Danni,

That red icon in the upper left corner of the multi-function display means you're experiencing low oil pressure, which can very quickly lead to the death of an engine. I would recommend NOT driving the car at all, or even starting it again, until the oil level is checked and corrected.

Low oil pressure does not necessarily mean NO oil pressure, so your best option is to top it off and fire it up. Keep a close eye on oil level every day or two for a week or so to see if you're experiencing abnormal consumption. Toyota considers excess consumption to be burning more than 1 quart of oil every 600 miles.

Seeing this icon means immediate attention is needed:

low oil pressure.jpg

#4 TMR-JWAP, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two